Tap water for shrimp? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
freshwater.rain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 54
Tap water for shrimp?

I'm using water from my kitchen tap for my shrimp tank. I get my shrimp tomorrow and I'm getting worried that there may be too much salt, copper, etc. in the water. I'm using dechlorinator but I am really stressing? Can anyone help?
freshwater.rain is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 856
All tap water is not created equally. I've been keeping cherry types on tap for many generations with no issues, but my tap is darn consistent. I find Neocaridina (cherries, etc.) to be very adaptable little creatures, Caridina shrimp (crystals, bees, etc.) on the other hand never did well for me until I switched to RO and buffering substrates. I wouldn't expect salt in your tap unless you live near the coast.

If the shrimp are homebred in water similar to your own they should acclimate fine. Imported shrimp have higher mortality even in the best conditions. Drip acclimation can certainly help.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
freshwater.rain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
All tap water is not created equally. I've been keeping cherry types on tap for many generations with no issues, but my tap is darn consistent. I find Neocaridina (cherries, etc.) to be very adaptable little creatures, Caridina shrimp (crystals, bees, etc.) on the other hand never did well for me until I switched to RO and buffering substrates. I wouldn't expect salt in your tap unless you live near the coast.

If the shrimp are homebred in water similar to your own they should acclimate fine. Imported shrimp have higher mortality even in the best conditions. Drip acclimation can certainly help.
I'm getting neos. I live in AZ if that helps. The shrimp are from Aquatic Arts which is also in the US. And I have the AccuDrip system ready for them. Thanks for the response!
freshwater.rain is offline  
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 856
Excellent. They seem to list when something is tank bred, so those should be a lot easier to acclimate. Even if you do have some losses early, these things are crazy prolific so you should have a tank full of them within a year if nothing goes wrong.
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
freshwater.rain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Excellent. They seem to list when something is tank bred, so those should be a lot easier to acclimate. Even if you do have some losses early, these things are crazy prolific so you should have a tank full of them within a year if nothing goes wrong.
I got my shrimp in and have had them for 2 weeks. I now have about 10 to 15 missing and I've seen 4 bodies. The bodies are bright white (the shrimp are light blue). I cant figure out what is wrong. Parameters all look good. I'm freaking out. Any ideas?
freshwater.rain is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
natemcnutty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,358
Important factors

1) How long had the tank been running before putting shrimp in?
2) Do you have any idea what parameters they came from, is in your tap, or in your tank? Of primary importance is GH, but KH and TDS can play a role as well.
3) Temperature?
4) If you were to ask most experienced shrimp keepers about Aquatic Arts, you would not get favorable feedback. They are a huge company, and I'm sure some things they do better than others. Sadly, most shrimp are not their strong suit.

Unfortunately, white bodies indicates a bacterial infection, and by the time they are where you can tell they are turning white, it's probably too far gone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
natemcnutty is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
4) If you were to ask most experienced shrimp keepers about Aquatic Arts, you would not get favorable feedback. They are a huge company, and I'm sure some things they do better than others. Sadly, most shrimp are not their strong suit.



Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Which companies do experienced shrimp keepers recommend?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Discusluv is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 856
Not who you were asking, but I've had far and away the best luck getting shrimp from other hobbyists. I've bought from several on these forums with great results. Most of the bigger names out there import a lot of their stock out of necessity to keep inventory. I've bought from several big names that I won't mention also, and will not again going forward. I've gotten sturdier stock at better pricing that breed more true from the classifieds here and elsewhere.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Discusluv's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, California
Posts: 2,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Not who you were asking, but I've had far and away the best luck getting shrimp from other hobbyists. I've bought from several on these forums with great results. Most of the bigger names out there import a lot of their stock out of necessity to keep inventory. I've bought from several big names that I won't mention also, and will not again going forward. I've gotten sturdier stock at better pricing that breed more true from the classifieds here and elsewhere.
Thats what I plan on doing next time.

I was just wondering if there were also some reputable, smaller sized companies that were recommended.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
Discusluv is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
babystarz's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mpls, Minnesota
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Which companies do experienced shrimp keepers recommend?
Flip Aquatics has a very impressive quarantine process - I have had zero deaths during shipping and acclimation with multiple shrimp orders from them. I like buying from them or other hobbyists/my LFS.
Discusluv likes this.

.`.`..`.><(((>
babystarz is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
natemcnutty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,358
Trying not to do a vendor review type thing, but good experiences with Steve Barbee (he's on here occasionally too), Grant Eder (The Garden of Eder), Erik Lucas (buypetshrimp), and Blue Crown Aquatics who does import but has a good QT process (two good experiences with PRL, BKK, and BB so far).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
natemcnutty is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
freshwater.rain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Important factors

1) How long had the tank been running before putting shrimp in?
2) Do you have any idea what parameters they came from, is in your tap, or in your tank? Of primary importance is GH, but KH and TDS can play a role as well.
3) Temperature?
4) If you were to ask most experienced shrimp keepers about Aquatic Arts, you would not get favorable feedback. They are a huge company, and I'm sure some things they do better than others. Sadly, most shrimp are not their strong suit.

Unfortunately, white bodies indicates a bacterial infection, and by the time they are where you can tell they are turning white, it's probably too far gone.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
4 months but I made sure to add food daily and I had lots of snails. Gh is 7 Kh is 4 and I don't have a TDS meter. Temp is between 72 to 75. They only turn white once they are dead. Is that still bacteria?? Now I'm really freaking out!
freshwater.rain is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Blue Ridge Reef's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 856
When shrimp have died in my tanks, they tend to turn either orange or white. I'd try to look at your surviving ones with a magnifier rather than dead bodies. How many shrimp are in there? What size tank? Supplemental feeding may not be needed; I tend to feed on the very light side.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Blue Ridge Reef is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
natemcnutty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshwater.rain View Post
4 months but I made sure to add food daily and I had lots of snails. Gh is 7 Kh is 4 and I don't have a TDS meter. Temp is between 72 to 75. They only turn white once they are dead. Is that still bacteria?? Now I'm really freaking out!
As stated above, they do turn white or yellow upon death, so inspect living ones. Bacterial infection is one of the most common diseases for shrimp, and keeping good parameters will keep up their health.

So the tank was matured for 4 months? Not sure what AA's homebred parameters are. I know imports are 0-1 KH and lower GH, but your parameters, including temp (though I prefer a few degrees cooler), should be fine for US homebred.

Are you still feeding daily? If so, you'll want to stop I usually mature a tank for 3 months before adding shrimp, and I feed them a small amount once per week until I hit about 50. At that point, I up it to twice a week. I refuse to keep colonies larger than 100 and plan to split up the colony at that point, so twice a week is the most I go.


Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
natemcnutty is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
freshwater.rain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
When shrimp have died in my tanks, they tend to turn either orange or white. I'd try to look at your surviving ones with a magnifier rather than dead bodies. How many shrimp are in there? What size tank? Supplemental feeding may not be needed; I tend to feed on the very light side.
I've looked really close at all of them and I haven't noticed any off coloring or signs of infection. I have about 25 in a 10 gallon. I don't feed much, just BacterAE qnd a few tiny shrimp pellets. I'm not sure if I mentioned that before or not.
freshwater.rain is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome