Cycling with Plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Cycling with Plants

Greetings -

First post, first time setting up a planted tank.

I am going to be setting up a 75g planted tank this weekend and have a question regarding the cycling of a planted tank. I have read many different things about doing so. I'm starting out with 7 beginner plants, got one of each to see how they would hold up in the tank with my water and the LED light that came with the tank/stand. I will probably upgrade the lighting in the future, but want to stay away from CO2 at this point. Also, I will be using eco-complete (got some root tabs for later down the road) for the planted area of the tank and a liquid fertilizer for the water column plants. Aquarium sand/gravel/rocks on the other areas, with dragon stone and manzanita driftwood.

Eventually, I will be adding fish (did a fish-in cycle before in a non-planted tank with some casualties before the tank got cycled I was clueless, unfortunately). I want to do a fish-less cycle and was wondering about adding ammonia to a tank with plants in them and how much would be too much. Will be using Dr. Tim's ammonia and BB to get it going. I know that plants take up ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and help the cycle, but am wondering if dosing up to 2ppm will be safe for the plants?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

Sarah

Tags
ammonia cycling, cycling new tank, first planted tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode