2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeffww
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Purigen is just amberlyst?

My work has me doing some chemical synthesis and we use amberlyst resin to absorb cationic impurities amongst other things. Do you guys think purigen is just amberlyst sold at a markup. Quick googling suggests that this may be the case.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Possibly, But there are probably a lot of different ion exchange resins on the market. The only thing I can think of is to compare the color of amberlyst. The Purgen I have is white.

I am very curious about Amberlyst (hadn't heard of it until your post). Do you have a good source of public information regarding it?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Interesting. Could be...

I had to Google Amberlyst, and think it's also funny how similar the Dow and Seachem logos are!
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
I've said before that I think almost every product marketed for aquariums exists for other industries and is rebranded with a fish on the bottle and marked up. Very interested to see if this turns out to be the case here. Purigen and Poly Filters are two that I have no idea what are made from and would love to change that.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 04:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I am doing some searching. I believe that indeed it is probably a product from the amberlite family of functionalized polystyrene resins. I think it could be one of a number of these types of materials. For example:

https://www.dupont.com/content/dam/D.../177-03817.pdf

I believe if one were to buy from certain auction sites or chinese importers you could obtain something similar in functionality at a much reduced cost. It would probably not be the exact same polymer and may alter water chemistry in a different way but I think it would be similar. Furthermore, looking at some pricing it would be probably be around 1-200 dollars per cubic FOOT of this material. This about a 1/4 the price of purigen.

Some other thoughts: I think it probably a basic type resin functionalized with amines because of the fishy smell Purigen gets when fully regenerated. Its contraindication with slime coat water conditioners is probably because of strong hydrophobic binding of these polymers (usually polyamines or polyethylene glycol or something) to the polystyrene backbone. Further cationic resins such as aminated polystyrene are generally regenerated with alkaline such as bleach or weak NaOH.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog

Last edited by Jeffww; 06-09-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: more info

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode