RO water and wonder shells - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO water and wonder shells

Are Wonder Shells enough to remineralize RO water for a planted aquarium?

Im thinking of setting up an auto-water change system and something that slowly dissolves vs using something I have to dose, like Equilibrium, seems more attractive.

I'm already using RO and equilibrium and it works fine but I am changing water using the old bucket-brigade style system. This works well for a 30 gallon, but I'm stepping up aquarium size and want to move towards auto-changing my water.

Any thoughts or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:47 AM
Planted Member

Then buy a dosing pump to automate your dosing as well.
Anything slowly dissolving in practice means you have no control over the end result. And also means that after each water change your water parameters will fluctuate.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:57 AM
Algae Grower

I've used wonder shells in a few of my tanks and they are capable of dissolving very quickly when minerals are low and can last a long time when minerals are good. That being said I bet it would be more cost effective to automate dosing equilibrium with an auto feeder or something than buying wonder shells to keep up with auto water changes on a tank over 30 gallons. Just my 2 cents.

@ Oso
Perhaps he/she will have the auto water changes set to run continuously.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
Then buy a dosing pump to automate your dosing as well.
Anything slowly dissolving in practice means you have no control over the end result. And also means that after each water change your water parameters will fluctuate.
[Thanks for the idea Oso. I was actually investigating that after I posted and it seems to be the best route to go. This way I can ATW a set amount on schedule, and then dose both ferts and re-mineralizations accordingly after afterwards.

I guess in the goal for me is to have as much of the maintenance of this tank to be as hands-off as possible as both a convenience and fun project.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Itís easier to use equilibrium or similar that dissolves quicker when prepping your water. Once you get water change volume/ritual set you simply make a chart to hang on wall and quickly dump Exact amount needed to remineralize to your specs, let it dissolve/equalize for a few hours and change water. No waiting around for a block to eventually dissolve enough into water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode