4Likes
  • 2 Post By Ddrizzle
  • 1 Post By FishRFriendz
  • 1 Post By livebearerlove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wonder Shells... anyone have solid into on these?

What is up with these things, as far as I can tell they are made by wither Weco or AAP and neither of those companies have what I would call a respectable website, clear info on their product, or even reasonable claims. But I have noticed a clear improvement in my plant growth when I add weco wonder shells to my aquariums. My plants noticeably start growing faster and healthier.

Weco's site says their shells basically to everything under the sun, and AAP has youtube videos that talk about "redox" balance which I understand the how but not really the why, seems like a small piece to the complicated puzzle of a balanced aquarium.

Anyways does anyone know more specifically how these shells help the aquarium, and is there a cheaper and or a better alternative. IMO they seem pricey for what they are and how long they last in my aquariums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am doing some testing on my own but I would be happy with just informed opinions at this point. Thanks.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:38 PM
Planted Member

There's no magic here. Plant fertilization needs are fairly well understood. You need the following in the right proportions for high growth:

Light
Carbon
Nitrate
Potassium
Phosphate
Iron
Calcium
Magnesium
A mix of micros

The shells either add some of this or they don't. I'm not familiar with the product but when we talk about shells sitting in a tank, it usually effects hardness (calcium and magnesium) by either adding or subtracting them from the water.

In terms of cheapness, it doesn't get cheaper than buying the above salts themselves. That's at least 10x cheaper than buying a premade liquid mix.

The calculator on the rotalabutterfly website calculates how much you need to add to your tank once you figure out what chemicals you need. To start down this route, check out the estimate index fertilization routine. Something to be aware of is that certain salts will add two chemical, meaning you could overdose if your ferts are adding the same chemical unless you calculate that as well. Potassium is the main one here.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I thought those wonder shells were just to add more calcium to the water for shrimp an snails. If your plants are doing better maybe they needed more calcium or magnesium. You could get a kh/gh test kit and find out.

I used them on my neighbor's tank to simplify keeping shrimp, which worked out until they had no more wonder shell. I personally prefer to just remineralize my water for water changes and dose fertilizers.
TheDukeAnumber1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dont know much about them... I brought some in USA on a trip a few years ago.... but ended up sticking with equilibrium as I lived in a place with no internet and didnt have information. 'More sex vigor'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-22 at 11.42.16 AM.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	881923  

TheDukeAnumber1 likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode