Sanity check please - Leaves are starting to die again - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
https://imgur.com/a/5Ao23DH

About two months ago I had to do a major trimming because my plant's leaves were doing what you see above in the pictures from today. I also double checked all of my ferts, testing everything you should and could besides one-off micros and potassium. I thought this was going well.

The problem has returned. The leaves either turn yellow with brown pinholes, turn translucent, or simply stay forming big holes and deteriorating away. The wrinkly leaves plant loses the leaves at the bottom as well.

--------------

Ph - 6.7 when co2 is on. Aiming for 30ppm co2.
Co2 - Checking on this today as I'm wondering if my trimmed plants are kicking into gear and using up more co2 than usual. 12 tetras, 4 badis, 1 pea puffer, 12 amano.
Kh - 9
Gh - 16
CA - 100 ppm
Mg - 8 ppm. Just dose more of this today and will test tomorrow
Iron - Hovers between .25 and .5 ppm
Nitrate - 20~ ppm
Phosphate - 3~ ppm
Potassium - Not sure because I can't measure it, but I've kept dosing potassium sulfate when I have no need to dose nitrate for whatever reason (feeding I assume).

Temp is 78 degrees all of the time. Light is about 50 par at bottom of 22 gallon long tank for 8 hours a day.

Ferts:
Potassium nitrate as needed. Usually don't due to blood worm feeding.
Mono Potassium Phosphate - At least 1/32 tsp a day because it will never hover over 2 ppm for longer than a few hours. Never hits 0 though.
Potassium Sulfate - I dose about 1/8 or 1/16 tsp on days I don't need to add potassium nitrate.
Iron and micros - CSM + B, simply aiming for an iron level between .25 and .50 ppm.
Magnesium Sulfate for magnesium. 1/4 tsp daily.
Calcium - Nothing since it's always crazy high from my rock.

What am I missing??? My only guesses are a sudden rise in the need for co2 (co2 injection amount has stayed the same) or too much calcium or potassium since I can't measure potassium or control the calcium. Something in my gut says it might be ccsm+b overdose too. Sometimes when I dose I *feel* like my plants start doing poorly the next day.

Edit 1--
A couple more pics https://imgur.com/a/oQWKTh2

Edit 2--
Something else that I don't understand is that my plants are bubbling like crazy today too. Ugh, why does this have to be so complicated? I added an extra dose of potassium and magnesium after seeing their state this morning,a nd also turned up the co2 just enough to bring it down to 6.6. So maybe one of those are to blame.

Edit 3--
Ok wow. I guess I'll turn this into a nano log

My nitrate, which was at least 10-20 ppm this morning was around 0 ppm a few minutes ago. I believe the potassium or magnesium kicked something into gear big time.

Edit 4--
I may have been a bit generous on my initial cac:mg ratios. I just remeasured after adding 3/4 tsp of magnesium sulfate and params are:

Gh - 15
Ca - 10 drops per https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...g-calcium.html
Mg - Must be around 5-10ppm now

Last edited by Ddrizzle; 05-14-2019 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Convert all dosing to ppm you should do that work not us.

White patches on leaves looks like Fe Deficiency. (From too high Ca)
Yellow plus holes could be Potassium. (From too high Ca)

You have hard water you want to use DTPA instead of EDTA Fe in CSM+B.
Add half your iron from CSM+B and the other half from DTPA.

You can also try breaking up your dosing of Micros into daily, this can help your plant uptake Iron before it become unavailable.

High Calcium inhibits Fe, Zn and K uptake get rid of the rocks is the best solution, second best would be adding more Micros and Potassium.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Convert all dosing to ppm you should do that work not us.

White patches on leaves looks like Fe Deficiency. (From too high Ca)
Yellow plus holes could be Potassium. (From too high Ca)

You have hard water you want to use DTPA instead of EDTA Fe in CSM+B.
Add half your iron from CSM+B and the other half from DTPA.

You can also try breaking up your dosing of Micros into daily, this can help your plant uptake Iron before it become unavailable.

High Calcium inhibits Fe, Zn and K uptake get rid of the rocks is the best solution, second best would be adding more Micros and Potassium.
Hmmm ok thank you. I wish potassium was easier to measure so I would have known if magnesium or potassium was the issue.

So yesterday in the middle of the day my nitrates dropped to 0 from 10-20 ppm. I added about 10ppm then from potassium nitrate.... And now its 40 ppm this morning... I'm very confused and wodering if the high calcium messes with some of the api test kits.

I added extra potassium and magnesium today again to see what happens. I'm holding off on more csm + b in hopes that I can identify what fert was the issue.

I could be crazy and the light still needs to come on but I think the leaves are repairing themselves. I'll have a good look later.

Edit: Looks like the tank is bubbling again today which is great news. However, BBA nodes have popped up everywhere. Damnit.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-14-2019 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Third day of extra potassium and magnesium. Tank started bubbling within 15 minutes of the lights turning on.

I did not add CSM + b or iron so I think that is out.

Edit: just realized my daily updates turned into one. Maybe I should start a journal instead.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode