Can driftwood cause nitrite to spike up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Can driftwood cause nitrite to spike up?

It's a 2G fishbowl, there were 5 amano shrimps in there, 4 now. D:

It's been cycled, and running without filter, heater for months. This morning, I found 4/5 of my amanos are dead. I checked everything, and the only thing that's on the extreme is my nitrite, it's even more purple than Barney the dinosaur!! So there's two things I did the previous night...

1. fed them hikari shrimp crusine.
2. introduced new spider driftwood.

The wood has not been soaked before, I have also put them in my other nanos, and they're fine.

For plants in the tank: dwarf hairgrass, crypts, and a bunch of frogbit, duckweed, and salvinias.

I would have thought MAYBE the driftwood spiked ammonia, but it's reading 0, just the nirite is off the charts. Is this possible?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anything is possible lol. Sucks about the shrimpers.

Is it possible that the ammonia spiked due to something on the wood and it overwhelmed the bacteria so you got the nitrite spike? Assuming you feed the same all the time that sounds like the only difference/change that would be a source.

Nothing was sprayed in the area that could of gotten in there correct?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Anything is possible lol. Sucks about the shrimpers.

Is it possible that the ammonia spiked due to something on the wood and it overwhelmed the bacteria so you got the nitrite spike? Assuming you feed the same all the time that sounds like the only difference/change that would be a source.

Nothing was sprayed in the area that could of gotten in there correct?
I checked for ammonia, there were none which was what I find odd. Maybe it's JUST these driftwood? Not sure because my other tanks with the same driftwood were fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:09 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Check your gh and kh just for the heck of it if you haven't already. Shrimps love to die when gh or kh rises too quickly. I've never had a shrimp die from nitrates though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode