Fert dosing - The Planted Tank Forum
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fert dosing

Fert question, it seems that I'm going through dry ferts way faster than I should, I was told dry ferts would last me atleast a year maybe 2, I dose KNO3, KH2P04, K2S04, at low light weekly from Rotala butterfly broken up into 2x a week, my tanks a 55 gallon but total water volume is about 45 gallons, it calls for 2.78 grams of KNO3 so I dose 1.4 x2, calls for 3.8 grams of K2S04 so I dose 1.9 x2 and KH2P04 @ 312 mg x2 which is 0.312 grams x2, does this seem right to you all that dose dry ferts? Or is my dose way off, low tech, medium light no co2, tanks doing okay, still have hair algae just learning to live with it , but if my dosing is way off it could be the reason for the hair algae, also can't get Wisteria to grow or water sprite so looking for another fast growing stem to replace them with as well as can't get this amazon to grow so I'll be replacing that as well. Any ideas on replacements for the plants that won't grow will be gladly appreciated ty.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like the pics but not the dosing amounts.

Excessive K dosing is not so good.
Seems the Potassium nitrate and monopotassium phosphate dosing are a little high and the K from them was not considered when figuring the K2SO4 amount to dose.

Makes me want to ask what you are dosing for micos?
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I like the pics but not the dosing amounts.

Seems the Potassium nitrate and monopotassium phosphate dosing are a little high and the K from them was not considered when figuring the K2SO4 amount to dose.

Makes me want to ask what you are dosing for micos?
I dose csm+B and DTPA 11%, from what I was told you want to match the k rating to the KNO3, I dose for 10 ppm KNO3 so I was told to dose K2S04 at 10 ppm as well

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quantities of said compounds are?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Quantities of said compounds are?
Csm +B is 0.13 grams 2 x weekly, DTPA is 0.077 grams 2x weekly

Here's what rotala says, it's in milligrams so I had to convert it to grams for my digital scale

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-12-2019 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just checking that micros were not at some crazy levels.

The need for DTPA is higher pH levels?

Micros @ a low light once a week EI dose.
Why double the macros during the week?

A suggested EI macro dose is 7.5ppm NO3, 1.3ppm PO4, 7.5 ppm K
The dose of NO3 & PO4 provides more than half of the K requirement before adding K2SO4.

Not picking here just trying to understand everything you are adding to your tank.
Greggz and p0tluck like this.

post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That tank is looking very nice for no CO2, so well done.

Like MG said above, too much K can be an issue. You don't need to add anymore than what is in KNO3 & KH2PO4.

And if you learn how to state your dosing in ppm's per week, it will be easier for others to help you. Very few will go calculate each, and ppm is the universal language spoken here.

You seem to have a lot going right, so I wouldn't change anything too abruptly. And only change one thing at a time. I would try cutting out the extra K for two or three weeks and see what happens. Then you can go from there.

In general, you probably do not need EI levels. If I was experimenting with in that tank, it would be with less not more (slightly).

------------------
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
What is excessive in these days?

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

&

post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
What is excessive in these days?
Depends entirely on a wide range of variables.

I don't know of any number that works for every tank/situation.

Do you?
p0tluck likes this.

------------------
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Just checking that micros were not at some crazy levels.

The need for DTPA is higher pH levels?

Micros @ a low light once a week EI dose.

Why double the macros during the week?

A suggested EI macro dose is 7.5ppm NO3, 1.3ppm PO4, 7.5 ppm K

The dose of NO3 & PO4 provides more than half of the K requirement before adding K2SO4.

Not picking here just trying to understand everything you are adding to your tank.
This reply is for you and @Greggz both of you made me go back and look at my notes and I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
That tank is looking very nice for no CO2, so well done.

And if you learn how to state your dosing in ppm's per week, it will be easier for others to help you. Very few will go calculate each, and ppm is the universal language spoken here.

You seem to have a lot going right, so I wouldn't change anything too abruptly. And only change one thing at a time. I would try cutting out the extra K for two or three weeks and see what happens. Then you can go from there.

Ty both kindly, ty you greggz for the compliment , there's a few plants that won't grow, Wisteria, water sprite and my Amazon sword do horribly and my anubias is still recovering from equilibrium burn so I have no idea why those plants don't grow.

What do you mean by learning ppm dosing?
Like posting the details of all the nutrients in the ferts? I know all my tanks parameters.

I do know how much NPK each dose adds I just didn't know if that would just frustrate people so I apologize, also didn't know I add the 3 nutrients up together ouch.

Yikes I see what you're both saying saying KNO3 at what I'm dosing adds 6.31 ppm k the KH2P04 is about 1ppm so I'm actually dosing approx 17.31ppm K yikes, thank you and I will definitely cut out the K2S04.
If I'm doing it right as I was told I dose for actual water volume not tank size, what im dosing (taking K2S04 out if the equation)
KNO3 adds 10 ppm NO3, 2.26 ppm (N), and 6.31 ppm (K)
KH2P04 adds 1ppm PO4, 0.33 ppm (P) and 0.82 ppm (K)

As far as breaking it up into 2 doses I do that with my macros so I have a constant value in the tank throughout the week, so again if I'm doing it correctly as I was also told to increase my PO4 by one I take rotala dosing for low light weekly and cut only the KNO3 in half, 2.78 for total per week (i dose 1.4 grams 2x weekly) and dose PO4 @ 0.312 grams to reach a target of 1 ppm PO4 and dose that amount 2 times to get closer to 2 ppm PO4

As far as micros it's to tedious to dose such small amounts 2 x so I just dose that one time per week.

Should I just do the whole doses 1x a week instead of dosing KNO3 at half the dose 2X?

Is it true that you want to match your K to your N? Or is that really only for high tech, I dint want to frustrate anyone I was just wondering is I should say calculate for approx 3ppm extra K from the K2S04 or as @Greggz mentioned cut that out for about a month as I know it takes a while to see differences now.

Would that high dose of K limit plant growth? Which would be why the hair algae is still a nightmare , I am aware the key to beating algae is healthy plant growth, ty Both for making me go back and relook at my notes and relook at the ppm each nutrient adds.

Yes DTPA 11% is what I use as my pH is 7.5-7.6

I just complicated myself totally so hopefully I didn't complicate the post to much and you both try to reach through the phone and strangle me , I'm horrible at typing things out.

Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
Fert question, it seems that I'm going through dry ferts way faster than I should, I was told dry ferts would last me atleast a year maybe 2, I dose KNO3, KH2P04, K2S04, at low light weekly from Rotala butterfly broken up into 2x a week, my tanks a 55 gallon but total water volume is about 45 gallons, it calls for 2.78 grams of KNO3 so I dose 1.4 x2, calls for 3.8 grams of K2S04 so I dose 1.9 x2 and KH2P04 @ 312 mg x2 which is 0.312 grams x2, does this seem right to you all that dose dry ferts? Or is my dose way off, low tech, medium light no co2, tanks doing okay, still have hair algae just learning to live with it , but if my dosing is way off it could be the reason for the hair algae, also can't get Wisteria to grow or water sprite so looking for another fast growing stem to replace them with as well as can't get this amazon to grow so I'll be replacing that as well. Any ideas on replacements for the plants that won't grow will be gladly appreciated ty.
Your Full tank shot looks pretty good, looks like nice healthy plants and some decent plant mass.
EI at the high ranges was meant for a tank full of hungry stems, high light, high co2. You have none of those.
Typical reccomendations for low light is 1/2 to 1/3 EI.

You are currently dosing:

10 NO3
16 K
2 PO4

As a guess I'd just cut the dosing in half. I'd also cut your Micros in Half As Well. You might try dosing DTPA daily rather than weekly with the leaner dose to make sure your plants are getting it.

You should make up solutions, you can use Zorfox calculator to make up 500ml or 1 litre bottle. Then dose 5ml out of a 500ml or 1000ml solution, much easier than measuring dry ferts. For The Micros you should add some Citric acid or vinegar so it doesn't grow mould.

I'd do a 75% water change and then start the new dosing.

Excess Fe could be promoting the hair Algae.

post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Your Full tank shot looks pretty good, looks like nice healthy plants and some decent plant mass.
EI at the high ranges was meant for a tank full of hungry stems, high light, high co2. You have none of those.
Typical reccomendations for low light is 1/2 to 1/3 EI.

You are currently dosing:

10NO3
2PO4

As a guess I'd just dose the same once a week instead of twice or cut the dosing in half. I'd also cut your Micros in Half As Well. You might try dosing DTPA daily rather than biweekly.

I'd do a 75% water change and then start the new dosing.

Excess Fe could be promoting the hair Algae.
I do cut them in half but only the KNO3 as I was told I should aim for about 2 ppm PO4 as my nitrates are 20-25, so for better understanding it calls for 2.78 grams of KNO3 and 312 milligrams KH2P04, I dose 1.4 grams KNO3 and 0.312 grams KH2P04 on Monday and Thursday so KNO3 is dosed in half of the full weekly amount 2x per week

post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

@p0tluck I'm glad we have the "K" sorted out and you re-checked your dosing.

I too have a CSB+B solution I also add DTPA Fe to compensate for higher pH.
Good job!

FWIW I've been monitoring plant uptake of nutrients for over 14 weeks now.
Granted our tanks are very different but my findings so far are.
Daily NO3 3-3.5ppm & Fe .015ppm per day, 120PAR with 45ppm CO2.

post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
@p0tluck I'm glad we have the "K" sorted out and you re-checked your dosing.

I too have a CSB+B solution I also add DTPA Fe to compensate for higher pH.

Good job!

FWIW I've been monitoring plant uptake of nutrients for over 14 weeks now.

Granted our tanks are very different but my findings so far are.

Daily NO3 3-3.5ppm & Fe .015ppm per day, 120PAR with 45ppm CO2.
Tyvm I do 2 doses of KNO3 AT 5 ppm, and 2 doses of KH2P04 @ 1ppm (Monday /Thursday) so to make it short and not complicated for total weekly dose I'm running 10 (no3) /2 (P) /7.31 approx (K), does this seem like a good regimine? And could the extra K be the cause for the hair algae and maybe a reason my water sprite /Wisteria and Amazon do horribly?

No idea what par I'm Running, I have a fluval 3.0 running at these numbers, I also have tannins in the tank from new drift wood but ordered purigen yesterday

post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I would doubt that the small amount of extra K would bring on any algae.

Some time ago Fe was referenced regarding hair algae.
I cannot remember the details. Maybe something to search for?
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode