Fert dosing - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
I would doubt that the small amount of extra K would bring on any algae.

Some time ago Fe was referenced regarding hair algae.

I cannot remember the details. Maybe something to search for?
Oh if I was to Keep dosing K2S04 my k is 17.31 lol, I dose 2 ppm fe weekly from csm+B and DTPA 11% is that too my much fe? If so I can cut the dosing in half of the csm and the DTPA to reach a target 0.5 which would put me at 1ppm as I dose those 2 together.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
I dose 2 ppm fe weekly from csm+B and DTPA 11% is that too my much fe?
My high light, nose bleed CO2 injected tank consumes .105ppm of Fe per week.
I try/attempt to keep .25ppm Fe in the water column @ all times.

I want to say that 2ppm of Fe is excessive, maybe others will reply too.
Greggz, Immortal1 and p0tluck like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
My high light, nose bleed CO2 injected tank consumes .105ppm of Fe per week.

I try/attempt to keep .25ppm Fe in the water column @ all times.

I want to say that 2ppm of Fe is excessive, maybe others will reply too.
Okay just to throw this in there to, there's a lot of weeks I don't dose the micros, I have extreme anxiety so I forget a lot. I'll cut the DTPA and csm in half so that my total fe is 1

post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Greggz/Immortal1, one of them started a "Share your Dosing" thread some time ago.
No one in the entire display of shared data is dosing 2ppm of Fe per week.

Just something to think about!
Greggz, Immortal1 and p0tluck like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Greggz/Immortal1, one of them started a "Share your Dosing" thread some time ago.

No one in the entire display of shared data is dosing 2ppm of Fe per week.

Just something to think about!
@Maryland Guppy, okay I see what you're saying after a quick glance at people's numbers, but I do see most are dosing a pretty high value of (K) , is this because most of those in that thread are high tech w/c02, which would mean since I'm low tech I dont need to run 15-20 ppm (K) as my plants don't grow as fast as those in a pressurized CO2 setup? Yes I see most are running on an average of 0.1 so I will cut the csm+B and the DTPA in half so that my total between the 2 reaches a target ppm of 0.1.

I see most are running higher phosphate values ranging from 2-5+ should I increase my PO4?

My tank parameters are

20-25 nitrate (after dosing, fish bioload is 10-15)
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
PH 7.5-7.6
Kh 4
Gh 7
Phosphate 2.5
Tds 158 (varies)
Temp is 76

Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
@Maryland Guppy, okay I see what you're saying after a quick glance at people's numbers, but I do see most are dosing a pretty high value of (K) , is this because most of those in that thread are high tech w/c02, which would mean since I'm low tech I dont need to run 15-20 ppm (K) as my plants don't grow as fast as those in a pressurized CO2 setup? Yes I see most are running on an average of 0.1 so I will cut the csm+B and the DTPA in half so that my total between the 2 reaches a target ppm of 0.1.

I see most are running higher phosphate values ranging from 2-5+ should I increase my PO4?
You should not be comparing your dosing to those on the charts. Those tanks pretty much all have 100+ PAR, heavily injected CO2, and loads of fast growing stems. They are being driven hard and are much hungrier than yours.

The needs of your tank are much different. And in general, growing stems without CO2 is tricky. Not many are successful at it. If you really want to keep a wider variety of stem type plants, adding CO2 would make it much, much easier.

Have you found any successful low tech tanks here on the board that you want to emulate? If I were you, that is what I would be looking for. Studying their methods will have more relevance than comparing your dosing to CO2 injected tanks.
p0tluck and cl3537 like this.

------------------
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
You should not be comparing your dosing to those on the charts. Those tanks pretty much all have 100+ PAR, heavily injected CO2, and loads of fast growing stems. They are being driven hard and are much hungrier than yours.

The needs of your tank are much different. And in general, growing stems without CO2 is tricky. Not many are successful at it. If you really want to keep a wider variety of stem type plants, adding CO2 would make it much, much easier.

Have you found any successful low tech tanks here on the board that you want to emulate? If I were you, that is what I would be looking for. Studying their methods will have more relevance than comparing your dosing to CO2 injected tanks.
@Greggz, Ahh okay I think I understand, is it because their nutrient uptake is very rapid where as mine aren't? I have rotala rotundifolia I have to cut in half every 2 weeks replanting the tops, but Wisteria/ water sprite doesn't grow (haven't tried floating it), I'm not sure if you classify rotala as the typical stem However, I am going to cut out the K2S04 like you Mentioned and see what happens there, I've been adding 2 ppm fe as well (again my fault as I didn't add the 2 together and do the math correctly) so I'm actually dosing my tank at the moment with csm+B and DTPA 11% at a ppm of 0.025 each which will total 0.050 for today's dose x 2 x weekly which will be 0.1, not sure if I should stay at 0.05 and try that out go to the full 0.1 for the weekly dose however.

Greggz likes this.
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Can't get any better lol 1 granual makes 0.001 grams

Greggz and CulperJr like this.
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With very small amounts you are better off making a solution, especially with CSM+B.
Maryland Guppy and ursamajor like this.

------------------
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
With very small amounts you are better off making a solution, especially with CSM+B.
Like a small bottle of distilled water that = 0.1 and just add a bit day by day?
Reason I ask is I don't add it to the tank dry, I mix it with a little bit of distilled water before adding it.

Greggz likes this.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Like a small bottle of distilled water that = 0.1 and just add a bit day by day?
Reason I ask is I don't add it to the tank dry, I mix it with a little bit of distilled water before adding it.

No you need to make a larger container of solution.

For instance, I make a solution of micros in a 1000ml container. It's calculated to supply 0.075 Fe per 20ml dose.

I dose 20 ml per day, which works out to 0.525 Fe (.075x7) per week. In my 1000ml container I have 50 x 20ml doses.

You can use Rotalabutterfly or Zorfox calculators to calculate the amounts you need to make your solution.

Hope that makes some sense.

------------------
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
@p0tluck I didn't mean to compare.
Just trying to bring some clarity to your extreme amounts of Fe.
The 100+PAR tanks are not introducing that much Fe.
Greggz likes this.

post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
@p0tluck I didn't mean to compare.

Just trying to bring some clarity to your extreme amounts of Fe.

The 100+PAR tanks are not introducing that much Fe.
Oh I know, I realize I was doing it incorrectly, I wasn't adding the fe in the DTPA 11% to the fe in the csm+B, I wrote this down today, I make everything so complicated but this is what I'll be dosing starting after next water change which is on Sunday, I've already dosed the macros but dosed 0.050 ppm micros today. DTPA 11% and csm+b combined is 0.050.

Greggz likes this.
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Err fe for weekly is 0.1006 need to change that

post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fixed

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode