Question on Calcium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
changing to CherylH

PTrader: (11/100%)
Question on Calcium

I'm using RO water and it looks like I'm neglecting calcium when rebuilding my water. I'd rather add something I can measure to get the level to whatever it needs to be. Kent's liquid calcium and Seachem's reef calcium are sitting here in the house. Would either of these be suitable? If yes, what kind of dose/number of gallons would I want for freshwater? If not, what product would I want so I can measure the dose?

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:27 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I know some guys who were dosing Kent Turbo Calcium. I am not sure of the proportions.

I'll see if I can find out.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
They were using calcium to build up their GH. Is that what you want to do?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
changing to CherylH

Truthfully, I'm grasping at straws. I've got 1 tank that's giving me a bad time. I've been doing a lot of reading old stuff the last few days and based on the idea that any 1 nutrient missing can be a limiting factor in everything else working the way it should, I've been thinking about what is and isn't in my tank. I've been using the individual chemicals from Greg Watson instead of RO right lately and I didn't buy calcium from him. This means I haven't added any calcium at all for a few months now. I figured a minimum dose wouldn't hurt my tank and might help.

Edit: I don't know if the results are valid--I used a saltwater test kit. My calcium levels are below 20 ppm (as low as the kit would measure).

Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
changing to CherylH

Well, I found an interesting thread on calcium at APC http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...lcium&&start=0 .
Somebody had even asked how much of the Kent liquid calcium to dose--and I couldn't find the answer.

Kent itself has done one of my pet peeves--idiot dosing directions (both on the bottle and the website) rather than giving the concentrations and letting me decide for myself.

I found another post at wet thumb indicating a good level is between 15 and 75 and another poster who was very happy maintaining 40.

I know the kent liquid is 10% calcium.

Does anyone know how much per X gallons raises it y amount? Or know of a good reef forum where I can find out some sort of dosing proportion I can cut down?

Thanks

Cheryl

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
For a freshwater tank, try Kent Botanica gH+. It contains only calcium and magnesium. It's what I use.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:23 PM
mpb
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I use the Kent Calcium. I add 3ml after 50% water changes on a 50g tank.

My suggestion is to add it very slowly until you get the desired GH.

I also add Epson Salt to keep magnesium at 5 ppm.

Fluorite , Pressurized CO2 with Hagen ladder, Fluval 304, 110watts PC 6500K + 60watts Corallife Trichromatic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
changing to CherylH

Thank you mpb--that was exactly what I needed right now.

I'd been using RO right, but the stuff I have is one big lump and a PITA. So I started dosing using the Greg Watson stuff and (dumb me) forgot calcium. So I've got plenty of gh--but it's all magnesium. This should let me get back in balance and then I can stay that way in the future.

Thanks everyone for suggestions--I'm sure they'll be useful in the future.

Cheryl

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode