low tech Ferts: EI or Tom Barr's ratio's? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
low tech Ferts: EI or Tom Barr's ratio's?

In my low tech tank i originally planned to dose to tom barrs recommendations on his site where he discusses non co2 methods. (https://barrreport.com/threads/non-co2-methods.2792/)

However i instead used the dosing calculator for low tech EI dosing/week. i was under the idea that it was the same. however if i use the calculator and compare to his article of what to dose a 20 gallon tank they are note the same but rather the calculator is over double what he mentions is the linked article. so is the article what i should go by, or the calculator. i understand dialing in over time but i'm looking for a starting point as i am relatively new and thought i had this figured out until i noticed this inconsistency.

This is what Tom Barr says to dose for 20 gallons:
" I will add about 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal tank once every week or two.
This greatly enhances the growth of the plants.
I also will add about 1/8" and 1/32" teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 respectively once a week or two."

with the calc set for low light EI i came up with this for 20 gallon:
Seachem EQ: 3/4+1/32 tsp
NO3: 1/8+1/32+1/64 tsp
KH2PO4: 1/64 tsp

the main thing that is way off is the equilibrium which is over double and i wonder if it was in the calculator for RO water or what. I'm using tap water with it and i don't know if that's way wrong to do it that way or what.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode