Nitrites won't drop w/ 100% wc - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Optimal conditions for fastest cycling:

Make sure your pH is between 7-8 (by adjusting your KH – bacteria consume the carbonates), keep temperature between 85F-95F for fastest response and oxygenate heavily, particularly at higher temperatures.

Don't withdraw the ammonia or the nitrosomonas may die. Maintain ~2 ppm total ammonia (since you have plants) readings until cycled, then change water to bring it down.

I've had test kits go bad long before expiration. In any case, I find the Salifert test kits to be much easier to use (no shaking) and much more accurate at lower ppms.
varanidguy, Ravynn and cl3537 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

My nitrites were 2ppm yesterday and have dropped to 0.5ppm today. Glad things are moving after the water changes...
varanidguy likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
My nitrites were 2ppm yesterday and have dropped to 0.5ppm today. Glad things are moving after the water changes...
Yep! It's a waiting game...sometimes when things seem hopeless, they fall into place. Patience, for me, is the hardest aspect of this hobby.
Ravynn and evil8 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

When I was cycling my 125g tank, I was getting super high nitrites and nitrates. I would do 75% water changes every other day since nitrates would soon be off the chart. I got to a point of adding 0.5ppm ammonia every 2 days to keep the bacteria alive. The ammonia would be consumed in just hours, but the nitrites part was taking forever for it to go forward. I think I stalled out when my nitrites were off the chart. But don't be afraid of BIG water changes since it looks like you are doing the proper fishless cycle. I even still do about 75-80% WC's once a week, actually today is the day for me.
Ravynn likes this.

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, dosed ammonia to 1ppm yesterday and it was back down to 0ppm in 6 hours and 22 hours later the 2ppm nitrites are down to 0ppm so guess i'm cycled. So excited!
livebearerlove and chayos00 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode