• 1 Post By mgeorges
  • 1 Post By Delapool
  • 1 Post By varanidguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Raising KH with Baking Soda

My parameters are PH 6.6, GH 3, KH 0/undetectable (first drop is yellow). I did a little bit of research and put almost 1 teaspoon of baking soda mixed with water in my cycling (which i'm having some issues with) 40 gallon. It raised the PH to somewhere around 6.8-7.0, GH 3, KH 4. I only need it around KH 2 since I just want my PH to stay stable even though i've never seen it drop; just want to take precautions.

My question is, is it safe to do this long term to ensure there is some buffering capability in my water? If so, should I try to keep it at the same number all the time? Example would be if day 1 I add enough to get to KH 2, 2 days later it dropped to 0 or 1 KH again, would I add more baking soda to make up for it or wait until end of the week water change?

If not, what would be a good product to use for just KH? (although baking soda is pretty cheap!) I don't have access to crushed coral and ordering online would make for hefty shipping fees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
My parameters are PH 6.6, GH 3, KH 0/undetectable (first drop is yellow). I did a little bit of research and put almost 1 teaspoon of baking soda mixed with water in my cycling (which i'm having some issues with) 40 gallon. It raised the PH to somewhere around 6.8-7.0, GH 3, KH 4. I only need it around KH 2 since I just want my PH to stay stable even though i've never seen it drop; just want to take precautions.

My question is, is it safe to do this long term to ensure there is some buffering capability in my water? If so, should I try to keep it at the same number all the time? Example would be if day 1 I add enough to get to KH 2, 2 days later it dropped to 0 or 1 KH again, would I add more baking soda to make up for it or wait until end of the week water change?

If not, what would be a good product to use for just KH? (although baking soda is pretty cheap!) I don't have access to crushed coral and ordering online would make for hefty shipping fees.
What is your substrate?

adding 2 degrees of kH will not = 0 in a few days if using inert substrate. Soils like ADA aquasoil eat up kH so 0 is perfectly fine, you won't have any pH swings using a buffering substrate.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
What is your substrate?

adding 2 degrees of kH will not = 0 in a few days if using inert substrate. Soils like ADA aquasoil eat up kH so 0 is perfectly fine, you won't have any pH swings using a buffering substrate.
I'm using pool filter sand. Is it safe to just make sure KH is 2 with baking soda after doing water changes then?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:46 PM
Planted Member

Why do you assume that your pH will swing wildly, especially as you don't observe this happening? Then, assuming it swings, why do you think it is bad? For example, pH swings in all CO2 injected tanks daily...

IMHO you'll do more harm than good by your baking soda. Don't fix what is not broken. Your water is great as it is, the majority of plants prefer low KH anyway.
Ravynn likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:

I've used NaHCO3 to buffer KH in some capacity for quite a while now. My main salt currently is KHCO3, which I use to bring my KH up to 1, and then I typically add a bit of NaHCO3 just to provide a little sodium in the water. Using only NaHCO3 to achieve a KH of 1-2 is fine though, I did it for quite some time. As already stated, your KH won't shift unless you have a buffering substrate or have stones that leach, but the stones would drive KH up, not down.

For cycling, it's better to have a more alkaline pH as you maybe aware. So driving KH up to 4 and running an air stone isn't a bad idea. Also keeping the temps in the upper 70's, lower 80's will help as well.
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I've used NaHCO3 to buffer KH in some capacity for quite a while now. My main salt currently is KHCO3, which I use to bring my KH up to 1, and then I typically add a bit of NaHCO3 just to provide a little sodium in the water. Using only NaHCO3 to achieve a KH of 1-2 is fine though, I did it for quite some time. As already stated, your KH won't shift unless you have a buffering substrate or have stones that leach, but the stones would drive KH up, not down.

For cycling, it's better to have a more alkaline pH as you maybe aware. So driving KH up to 4 and running an air stone isn't a bad idea. Also keeping the temps in the upper 70's, lower 80's will help as well.

I'm glad to know it's safe long term. I was just reading that during the nitrification proccess that there's something to do with the bacteria also eating up KH as a means of energy. It's a planted south american tank that will have soft water fish due to my soft water but I just didn't want anything going too... south.

I'm assuming i've been having trouble cycling my 40 because my other tanks have play sand that raises the PH to 7.4, GH to 4.5, and KH to 2.2. I took ceramic media and sponges from those and used 250ml of Seachem Stability, temp is at 80F. Stuff kind of stalled with insane amounts of nitrites and nitrates. I figured it's possible it has something to do with having no KH at all.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post

I'm glad to know it's safe long term. I was just reading that during the nitrification proccess that there's something to do with the bacteria also eating up KH as a means of energy. It's a planted south american tank that will have soft water fish due to my soft water but I just didn't want anything going too... south.

I'm assuming i've been having trouble cycling my 40 because my other tanks have play sand that raises the PH to 7.4, GH to 4.5, and KH to 2.2. I took ceramic media and sponges from those and used 250ml of Seachem Stability, temp is at 80F. Stuff kind of stalled with insane amounts of nitrites and nitrates. I figured it's possible it has something to do with having no KH at all.
Could be. I haven't heard about the interaction between beneficial bacteria and KH, but I don't doubt you. I just know from reading that BB tend to prefer an alkaline pH, which goes hand in hand with KH.
Maybe I should go check the KH in my three tanks currently cycling, lol. Haven't done anything but top offs now for a month with an initial starting KH of 1... wonder if that's zero now!
Ravynn likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Algae Grower

I have:

For every gram of ammonia oxidised into nitrate 4.8 grams of oxygen is used, 7.14 grams of calcium carbonate is used
Ravynn likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
Why do you assume that your pH will swing wildly, especially as you don't observe this happening? Then, assuming it swings, why do you think it is bad? For example, pH swings in all CO2 injected tanks daily...

IMHO you'll do more harm than good by your baking soda. Don't fix what is not broken. Your water is great as it is, the majority of plants prefer low KH anyway.
Well, with a dKH of 0, and inert substrate, they run the risk of fluctuating parameters if anything is added that could possibly have an effect. IMO, raising the dKH to 2 degrees could be wise, given the inert substrate, to ensure stability, and is still low enough KH for plants that prefer that to be lower.
Ravynn likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I have:

For every gram of ammonia oxidised into nitrate 4.8 grams of oxygen is used, 7.14 grams of calcium carbonate is used
7.14 grams of alkalinity as calcium carbonate. It doesn't specifically have to be calcium carbonate.

Bump:
Quote:
Potassium carbonate or bicarbonate. The former is more effective while the latter is easier to source.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode