2Likes
  • 1 Post By Edward
  • 1 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Preventing Seiryu Stone Leach

This is a re-post with edits. This was originally posted in Aquascaping, figured maybe I'd get a better response here.

Hello friends! I've attached a shot of some of my beloved Seiryu stone. I purchased the stone being aware of the issues associated with it leaching, and so I also purchased some UNS aquasoil to remedy the carbonate leach. Unfortunately, the aquasoil was either very overstated in its ability to prevent parameter changes and adsorb carbonates from the water column, or the amount of Seiryu was just too much for it to handle. Either way, the soil did very little and I'm dealing with the dKH climbing to 10+ between weekly water changes. I'm typically doing 83% water changes with 1 dKH remineralized RODI water, so there's a significant amount of leach occurring. This means that I must either remedy this leach, or say goodbye to my Seiryu stone.

Here's my possible remedy - A clear epoxy resin, like what I've seen people coat concrete tanks with. The stones would be dipped or painted with the epoxy and allowed ample time to cure, then they could be returned to the aquarium.

Can anyone think of a reason this may not be a good idea? I don't know long term outcomes on epoxy sealed concrete tanks. I don't know how/if the fact that this is a high-tech tank running abundant amounts of CO2 would cause problems for longevity. I don't know if my pleco will cause damage to the epoxy and potentially ingest bits while trying to eat algae off of it.

Any insight on this would be appreciated. I'd love to keep my stone, but I can't have parameter swings like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seiryu.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	881009  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The stone will not stop dissolving unless you allow the pH go above 7. So the Epoxy is a good idea, but I would worry about the remaining moisture in the rocks. How long does it take to dry it, or how? Any moisture will ruin the look later on. The next issue is what kind of Epoxy, some are soft and flexible, others are hard. I would use the hard one. Some 5 minute double tube Epoxy are hard and some soft, you would need to try a sample. The next kind is Laminating Fiberglass Epoxy for boats and cars, it is hard and the best choice. Multiple layers can seal it.
mgeorges likes this.

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
@Edward Good points on the drying aspect, I hadn't taken that into consideration. I imagine that after thoroughly cleaning the rocks, a good bake in the oven with the door cracked at a lower heat would get them nice and dry rather quickly, hopefully an hour or two tops.

After doing some reading, I think I was leaning towards an acrylic type epoxy if I remember correctly. I'll definitely do a hardness test before applying anything, that's a great idea.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Going to pull the trigger on this, I'll get pictures up when I get to this project.
Edward likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Baking or heating rocks in an oven is risky, expanding moisture vapor can crack the rocks and cause damage. I would put the rocks in Methyl Hydrate Denatured Alcohol in a sealed container to prevent evaporation for about a month. This removes moisture and kills algae and fungus, and preserves sterile conditions. After brief drying, Epoxy can be applied.

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

&

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:31 AM
Algae Grower

Any update on this? I’m in the exact same situation. I think picking a different rock makes more sense— though I’d love to see your epoxy coated Seiryu stone.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode