• 1 Post By livebearerlove
  • 1 Post By straha20

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing... AHHHHH!

Hello everyone,

So I am starting week three of a dry start on my tank (will be high-tech) and I've started reading about fertilising. Seems easy: pick up a bottle of Seachem and done. Right?

The Dunning–Kruger effect is hitting me hard, especially once I saw this:

Half the stuff he says might as well be in Greek (no, I don't speak Greek)...

Is there a solid beginners guide out there there? Does anyone have a few sources I should read? Any advice or guidance when it comes to dosing that you have I would love to hear.

All the best,

-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
I do speak greek.... so I would say some of what he says is not greek because it can get a little daunting.
My advise is to keep reading... all of a sudden it will click. But checking your gh/kh/ph and your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates and then dosing thrive is easy.
Sarpijk likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Another tip, more general to the hobby than specifically fert dosing, is try to resist the urge to chase parameters. The vast majority of plants and animals in our tanks are pretty hardy and can thrive in a fairly broad range of numbers. What they don't deal so well with is change. You are going to find a ridiculous amount of conflicting information over just about everything other than stability being the most important aspect. That, most everyone agrees on.

So with that out of the way, I agree that there is an overload of information out there, bit and pieces all over the place, and finding a concise Step 1, Step 2, Step 3 guide is tough to find. The reason is that every tank is different, and there is not going to be a specific step by step that works for all of them. What works perfectly for one might be a complete train wreck for another, that on the surface, appears to be nearly identical.

The closest I can personally come to a beginners guide for nutrients without all the greek, would be buy some Thrive, dose as directed, tailor as necessary.
celadon likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
A good site to read up on ferts.
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/adv_nutrients.html

This would include basic compounds.
EI based NPK + CSM+B - NilocG Aquatics

Next concerns would be the pH of your tank water and is RO water being used?
Hopefully no water softener is involved?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode