Brown Sugar as Fertiliser??? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By livebearerlove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brown Sugar as Fertiliser???

Hi,

I am new to this forum from India, have read a few topics but this is my first post.

I currently have a low tech 40 gallon planted tank with an inert substrate (coarse river bed sand)

Can i use the brown sugar having the following ingredient in each 100gm as a fertiliser dosing for my magnesium requirements?

Sodium 4mg
Potassium 126 mg
calcium 55mg
magnesium 28mg
iron 1 mg
phosphorus 3.5mg
protein 1g
carbohydrates 92.5g

apart from the above, what naturally available resource can i use to treat iron deficiency in my tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:31 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would not use sugar; the amount of it you would need to add to get sufficient iron would be too expensive, and more overly, you would end up just adding more sugar than anything into your water.

Is it not possible to get iron fertilizers where you are? If not, even something like iron supplements might be a better choice than sugar.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
You cant use sugar- it will throw off all sorts of aspects of the water column (jsut like a human getting iron from sugar.... bad idea). Iron can come from multiple places- in fact some stone release iron.

When i was in india- I just bought iron for aquariums (dosed appropriately if necessary)
suhail_ssr likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters

Tags
fertiliser, low tech, sugar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode