The Planted Tank Forum banner

DTPA Fe at 8.1 PH

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Cichlid-140 
#1 ·
Happy Easter Everyone!:laugh2:,

I plan on starting to use Micronutrient fertilizer mix and dosing schedule will be classic EI on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

My Tank Parameters are 8.1 PH, 4 KH and 4 GH.

My current issue is that i need to use a mix with a chelator that is reasonably stable with my PH. What I mean is that i just want my plants to get enough Iron and other micros. I can accept that my situation is less than ideal and I cant get 100% chelator stability at 8.1 PH.

Most common chelator I find as dry ferts is EDTA which is stable up to 6.5 PH, therefore I might use DTPA which is stable up to 7.5 PH as it is closer to my 8.1 PH.

My 8.1 PH after 2 hours of CO2 injection will drop to a constant 7.1 PH at lights on.

With these conditions, can I have healthy amounts of Iron with my tanks with regular dosing? or would i need to double or triple the dose?

Thanks,
-Harry

See less See more
#2 ·
Happy Easter Everyone!:laugh2:,

I plan on starting to use Micronutrient fertilizer mix and dosing schedule will be classic EI on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

My Tank Parameters are 8.1 PH, 4 KH and 4 GH.

My current issue is that i need to use a mix with a chelator that is reasonably stable with my PH. What I mean is that i just want my plants to get enough Iron and other micros. I can accept that my situation is less than ideal and I cant get 100% chelator stability at 8.1 PH.

Most common chelator I find as dry ferts is EDTA which is stable up to 6.5 PH, therefore I might use DTPA which is stable up to 7.5 PH as it is closer to my 8.1 PH.

My 8.1 PH after 2 hours of CO2 injection will drop to a constant 7.1 PH at lights on.

With these conditions, can I have healthy amounts of Iron with my tanks with regular dosing? or would i need to double or triple the dose?

Thanks,

-Harry
I'm Not an expert by far, not even close but I was told I had to dose DTPA 11% for iron with my pH being 7.5, I don't run c02 though so hopefully one of the experts will come by and answer your question.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#3 ·

OTher than EDTA and DTPA the most common sources used iron gluconate and iron EDDHA. Gluconate is a type of acidic sugar. My understanding is that it works well at high PH but it must be added every few days to maintain a stable Iron level. Seachem iron is iron gluconate.

EDDHA is stable to a PH of 10 to 11 so it would work for you. But I have read that it can color the water red.

I don't know of any other sources of iron available. I have used seachem iron but I have not used EDDHA.

#7 ·
I have ph 8.0 tap water I used to use EDTA chelated Fe in Thrive, it preciptated out and made a mess.
Now I use DTPA 11% dosed everyday and it seems to work no more ppt. However I run CO2 24/7 so my ph is stable at about 6.4 - 6.5 as @burr740 said it should still work even with higher pH some of the time.

If you are concerned just dose DTPA daily and add the dose before lights on when your pH is below 7.0. Use some experimentation it may not matter to your plants if some decomposes and precipitates out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.