21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
KH being 9 is going to make it difficult growing most species of Lythracaea

Interesting, I hadnít heard that family needing soft water. Of course, I also should have done some research on Eriocaulaceae before buying some Syngonanthus lol! I figured if that family grow naturally in Florida I could grow it... I guess not with the submersed ones!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I actually contacted my utilities company for a recent water quality report (I was interested in potassium and iron). They sent me one showing a pH of 7.5 and much softer than expected. Iíve never gotten a reading on any tap water in my state lower than 8, and although I only recently got a KH and GH test kit, the Calcium and Magnesium levels at least looked much lower than expected for this area. They must test on ďgoodĒ days
Your utility is probably getting water from multiple sources in its service territory. And there can be significant differences in water chemistry from well to well. The numbers they gave you were probably average numbers from all their wells. You might be close to one of the wells that produces harder than average water. Can you provide a link to the entire water report. there might be something else helpful in it.

Was your home constructed recently? Many micro fertilizers have very low levels of copper and zinc due to these metals leaching off of the metal pipes the water flows through. However in newer construction plastic pipes are commonly used. And some utilities are now also using plastic pipes to deliver the water. At least one person did report better plant growth by adding zinc to his CSM+B micro fertilizer. The water report you got should have some information on lead and copper.

Quote:
My phosphate is always high now that Iím dosing EI. Typically from 2-10ppm, right now itís at 5.
I would try lowering this by adding less phosphate.
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Your utility is probably getting water from multiple sources in its service territory. And there can be significant differences in water chemistry from well to well. The numbers they gave you were probably average numbers from all their wells. You might be close to one of the wells that produces harder than average water. Can you provide a link to the entire water report. there might be something else helpful in it.

Was your home constructed recently? Many micro fertilizers have very low levels of copper and zinc due to these metals leaching off of the metal pipes the water flows through. However in newer construction plastic pipes are commonly used. And some utilities are now also using plastic pipes to deliver the water. At least one person did report better plant growth by adding zinc to his CSM+B micro fertilizer. The water report you got should have some information on lead and copper.

I would try lowering this by adding less phosphate.

The utilities company asked for my address and gave me a report from the nearest water treatment plant. Also, my home was built in 1923!

Is there a good phosphate ppm you think I should aim for?

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What do you guys think of these AR variegated leaves? Iíve seen this species look very healthy in tanks with similar hardness, itís been doing this ever since I got it, even through all the changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode