Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reporting back in:

My tank - Light/neon green
100ppm - Light/neon green
50ppm - Light/neon green
RO water (0ppm) - Read out to be around 15ppm according to the test chart. Hmm...

25ppm is supposed to be completely clear, while 20ppm is supposed to be clear/slight yellow.

Last edited by Ddrizzle; 05-29-2019 at 09:35 PM. Reason: edit
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivannn View Post
if your sample become turbid after reagent1 then you have 50+ K in water

Thanks ivannn. I can confirm all of the light green tests were turbid/cloudy after reagent 1.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Reporting back in:

My tank - Light/neon green
100ppm - Light/neon green
50ppm - Light/neon green
RO water (0ppm) - Read out to be around 15ppm according to the test chart. Hmm...

25ppm is supposed to be completely clear, while 20ppm is supposed to be clear/slight yellow.
Almost a contrary finding, but try something along the lines of what I recommended, with RO water: take the cap and really compress that cotton into it (I know you don't have the compact cotton balls that I use). When you are done with that final minute following addition of reagent #2, shake the tube a little to distribute the reagent, then slowly pour the contents over the cotton until the cap is filled. Let it sit for ten minutes. Then try sucking it out from within the cotton with that cheapy pipette they give you. Let us know the results
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:47 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Almost a contrary finding, but try something along the lines of what I recommended, with RO water: take the cap and really compress that cotton into it (I know you don't have the compact cotton balls that I use). When you are done with that final minute following addition of reagent #2, shake the tube a little to distribute the reagent, then slowly pour the contents over the cotton until the cap is filled. Let it sit for ten minutes. Then try sucking it out from within the cotton with that cheapy pipette they give you. Let us know the results

Weird, my RO still tests somewhere around 10ppm when using this method. I'm going to use this on my tank later to see if it changes things but I doubt it at this point due to the amount of potassium sulfate I've been dumping in.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Weird, my RO still tests somewhere around 10ppm when using this method. I'm going to use this on my tank later to see if it changes things but I doubt it at this point due to the amount of potassium sulfate I've been dumping in.
Had a chance to test it on 50 ppm and it shows at the 20 ppm color. As I mentioned in the OP, all points from 20 ppm and above show as the 20 ppm color. Similar to what you confirmed, but I don't see it as being any type of green tint. All of my tests were variations of yellows and browns.

I also re-tested 0 ppm, 5 ppm an 10 ppm. Results were the same: 0-5 ppm shows as the 5 ppm darkest brown and the 10 ppm shows as the medium brown.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 10:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Had a chance to test it on 50 ppm and it shows at the 20 ppm color. As I mentioned in the OP, all points from 20 ppm and above show as the 20 ppm color. Similar to what you confirmed, but I don't see it as being any type of green tint. All of my tests were variations of yellows and browns.

I also re-tested 0 ppm, 5 ppm an 10 ppm. Results were the same: 0-5 ppm shows as the 5 ppm darkest brown and the 10 ppm shows as the medium brown.

Next time I test I'll take some pictures.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode