Help!!! Hagen NO3 and P04 test kits - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help!!! Hagen NO3 and P04 test kits

Anyone using the Hagen NO3 and/or PO4 test kits? I am wondering what's the trick to dispensing the correct # of drops from bottle #3 -- the glass bottles. My experience with simply turning the bottle over straight up and down, I seem to always get too much or too little solution in my test tube - I find it hard to control the flow. If I turn the bottle at an angle, I seem to have more control, but the drops don't appear to be the same exact size. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 PM

When i had this problem with the NO3 kit, I got a different brand of kit. It was more accurate, and easier to dispense drops.

However, I had the most luck tilting reagent #3 at a 45 degree angle.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
When i had this problem with the NO3 kit, I got a different brand of kit. It was more accurate, and easier to dispense drops.

However, I had the most luck tilting reagent #3 at a 45 degree angle.

What NO3 kit did you go with malkore? I have tried the AP test kit as well, but wasn't comfortable with the results - maybe the shelf life had expired.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM

JC, I have exactly the same experience and have never had any luck trying to invert the 3rd bottle on the Hagen PO4 test kit. I ended up tilting it like malkore does.

I just recently switch to AP, and it's much easier to dispense the appropriate drops. To my surprise, however, my PO4 from the AP test is about twice as high as the Hagen (almost 2 vs. 1). I reconfirmed the difference by comparing the two. Has anyone noticed a similar difference?

I'm curious about what you meant when you said you were "not comfortable" with the results. Did you find higher readings with the AP test than with the Hagen as well?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 PM

I use AP kits for most of my freshwater stuff, except phosphate. that's SeaChem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I use a Hagen kit for phosphate. Like a few others here I also hold the glass bottle of the phosphate kit at around a 45 degree angle and do one drop of it into the solution. As far as discrepancies between phosphate test kits all I can figure is that one kit measures one form of phosphate and one measures another form?? For what it's worth I find that when I dose 1pmm of phosphate as calculated on the Fertilator I measure about 1ppm give or take with the test kit so I figure it's pretty accurate.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode