PH goes up in tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
PH goes up in tank?

So yesterday I lost my betta in my 40B. Seemed perfectly fine one day, next day he is floating. Compared to my other betta in the 10g which has had a rough life and is still doing fine I am not sure what is up.

So started doing some checks and noticed my PH was reading 8.0-8.2 in both tanks. Tested the well water and it reads 6.5 (which agrees with a different test kit and electronic tester I used a while back on the well water).

My 40B has selkrete medium commercial sand (basically PFS) and the 10g has BDBS. Both are some what planted the 10 more so. I have nitrosorb in the 40B I put in a few days ago because my nitrates out of the tap are about 10-15. Wanted to see if it would help at all.

Ive started using ThriveC and a couple thrive caps in each tank. Would either of these cause PH to go up? I am kind of at a loss as to why it goes up so much.

I also had a couple of pieces of oyster shell in each tank so the shrimp would have some calcium. Pretty sure these are a carbonate source and shouldnt raise PH higher then 7 since once nuetral they should stop dissipating into the water.

Anyhow any ideas. Oh and I just did a 50% water change this past Sunday. Let me know if there are any other parameters or details that would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

Dissolved CO2 in tap gassing out in tank is my guess
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Thanks. So to test this take some of the tap water and leave it out for a day or two and test I assume. This is going to be a bummer if it is the case as it will make water changes more challenging to get PH down to where it needs to be.

So did a 20% water change today and got all readings I can (available test apparatus)

TDS 188ppm
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 (the nitrosorb really seems to be working)
PH 7.6
GH 1-2 (never really went full blown yellow and looked clear/bluish looking down at the bottle after 1 and it was more apparently blue tint looking down at 2)
KH 5

Im in the PNW so soft water is normal up here.

Do these readings mean I can raise GH without affecting PH to much since KH is what I presume to be high enough to act as a buffer?

Ill test PH tomorrow and see if it comes back up which I kind of presume it will.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-11-2019 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Raising GH will have no effect upon pH. KH is what sets pH. However, Bettas generally prefer softer water.

Fish can die from many cause, including SDS. It may have nothing to do with your water parameters. One death may not be reason to look for a cause, other than a sudden significant stressful event, such as, e.g.; wild temp swing, ammonia spike, etc.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Quote:
Thanks. So to test this take some of the tap water and leave it out for a day or two and test I assume. This is going to be a bummer if it is the case as it will make water changes more challenging to get PH down to where it needs to be.
That’s what I’d do. I have no experience with it, but have read a few times that it can happen. If you stick an air stone in there could help see results better. I’m not sure how quickly CO2 gasses out. Curious to see your results
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Thatís what Iíd do. I have no experience with it, but have read a few times that it can happen. If you stick an air stone in there could help see results better. Iím not sure how quickly CO2 gasses out. Curious to see your results
Been super busy but will get going on this over the weekend.

I did test my 40B last night and in the day or so since the water change PH climbed back up some. Went from 7.6 right after change to about 8-8.2

My neons are doing great, the false juliis are doing good (except for one that has barbel errosion, that is just one out of 6 of them, the rest look good), and the shrimps are also doing fine.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 10:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Don’t stick a airstone in change water it wil just artificially drive off all the CO2.

What you should do is set up tub with water, stick a small power head in bottom to lightly move water around and let set for 24hrs then come back and do complete water test on it for KH, GH and PH. Only way to get a true reading on your change water.

More than likely you’ll need to start adding a bag of peat, probably 3/4 cup and a even smaller 1/4 cup of crushed coral/shells and let that circulate in change water overnight before you use it. Just light current moving by bags is enough.

Last edited by DaveKS; 04-15-2019 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Typo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the input Dave.

I had a hectic week and no time to do prep work. Did do a water change on both tanks Friday afternoon since heading out for the weekend. I got some equilibrium and did a half recommended dose. Got it dissolved into the water buckets before adding to tank. Brought GH up to about 3-4, TDS was about 240. Ill do some more testing when I get home Monday.

All the fishes seemed to like the change. The cory cats were more "excited" and running around cleaning/eating on the rocks and plants (not to be confused with rapid breathing or any type of stressers). The neons were there normal selves always looking for food. This morning everyone was looking chipper and had good color and no signs of stress. I did add a couple pinches of aquarium salts also.

Getting there I guess.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode