Dosing HCL, post your experiences - The Planted Tank Forum
 89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Dosing HCL, post your experiences

When I saw Burr posting about using hydrogen chloride (HCl) to drop KH, I was intrigued, so I went ahead and bought some. Iím sure Iím not alone here. I plan to dose 1 mL per 6 gallons of water to drop KH by about 1 KH. I am not sure what my % HCL I am dosing the muriatic acid I bought is a low fumes brand, with a proprietary amount, so I suspect itís less than 30%.

My tank tested at 3KH using a new API kit, changes color on the 3rd drop.

Side note....

I have a 4 low tech tanks that have medium light, one tank in particular, always has some green string algae growing from the top of the wood which sits about 4Ē below a 10w cfl.

Well I was wandering... what if I drop in a dose with a syringe directed at the algae... well here it is just minutes after. Hang on filter was kept on, and output is directly over the top of this spot. See below, the light green/yellow spots took a direct hit.

Im definitely not going to be doing this on a regular basis, given the hazards of using HCl and well, you can only dose so much in the tank without seriously dropping pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
burr740 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This thread seems to be very interesting Subscribing...
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Interesting. Ive been wondering if a direct blast would kill algae. My fish think its feeding time and they usually take a direct hit. So far hasnt seemed to phase them. I always add it to the strongest current though, so they arent in the middle of it long.

Fwiw Alagaefix per directions would knock that algae out with a quickness. It does a real number on hair types. Other types, not so much. Dont use it with shrimp though
rebelrebel likes this.

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:28 PM
Algae Grower

I'm thinking to add it to the water which is resting for the water change. in the middle of the week, drop KH this way and at the weekend make the water change with that water. Would it be good approach ? instead of adding HCL directly to the tank
chayos00 and Immortal1 like this.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
That would be good, yes
chayos00 likes this.

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Interesting. Ive been wondering if a direct blast would kill algae. My fish think its feeding time and they usually take a direct hit. So far hasnt seemed to phase them. I always add it to the strongest current though, so they arent in the middle of it long.

Fwiw Alagaefix per directions would knock that algae out with a quickness. It does a real number on hair types. Other types, not so much. Dont use it with shrimp though

I have 1 amano shrimp thatís been in this tank more than 8 years... Iíd hate to kill it just to get rid of the algae, so the algae lives on.

burr740 likes this.

post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post

Unless you are going to dry spot dose HCL and burn/kill every living thing in proximity to the dose, (I have put holes in my t-shirts splashing 5M lab grade HCL when cleaning) as an algaecide in solution it makes no sense whatsoever.

HCL in solution raise H+ and lower pH once dissolved and mixed. I'd much rather add acids I can add as a salt than 'mystery concentration' solutions. As an algaecide this is a complete bust for me.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:02 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
For my situation I will be adding the HCL to the 20g holding tank under my main 75g display tank. For HCL I will be using this product from Menards. According to the technical data sheet it is roughly 32% Hydrogen Chloride.

After reading thru @burr740 post on his journal, it sounds like 3ml of this percentage of HCL should drop the 20g of holding tank water about 2dKH.

The nice thing about having the holding tank is I can experiment as needed. If I don't like the results I just pump the contents down the drain and start over. At $3.55 per gallon, I suspect I will never use it all :-)

post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is this something that is permanent and safe?

I ask because my tap water is about 4-5 dKH - I would like to use aquasoil in some tanks. Could I use HCL to get rid of the KH before using it in tanks with aquasoil safely, without harming shrimp, fish, plants, etc?
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Unless you are going to dry spot dose HCL and burn/kill every living thing in proximity to the dose, (I have put holes in my t-shirts splashing 5M lab grade HCL when cleaning) as an algaecide in solution it makes no sense whatsoever.

HCL in solution raise H+ and lower pH once dissolved and mixed. I'd much rather add acids I can add as a salt than 'mystery concentration' solutions. As an algaecide this is a complete bust for me.

Definitely not the purpose of dosing HCl, just kinda happened as I dosed with a syringe with a long needle the tip was right above the algae and I literally squirted 0.5 mL and posted my observation. I do not endorse the direct use of HCl as an algaecide.

Due to my observation, and concern that it may burn plants or fish, I plan to always drip it in slowly in an area of strong flow if I am dosing into the aquarium. From now on I will only be dosing a holding tank during water changes unless of course I forget. I have 2 12 gallon plastic containers that I fill and temp correct before water changes.

post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
Definitely not the purpose of dosing HCl, just kinda happened as I dosed with a syringe with a long needle the tip was right above the algae and I literally squirted 0.5 mL and posted my observation. I do not endorse the direct use of HCl as an algaecide.

Due to my observation, and concern that it may burn plants or fish, I plan to always drip it in slowly in an area of strong flow if I am dosing into the aquarium. From now on I will only be dosing a holding tank during water changes unless of course I forget. I have 2 12 gallon plastic containers that I fill and temp correct before water changes.

How long does it take for the acid to take effect and get rid of the KH?
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:

Mix it before in a jug or bucket with tank water changes. No need to expose livestock to concentrated acid ever.
vvDO likes this.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
How long does it take for the acid to take effect and get rid of the KH?

I did not measure the change... I believe Burr noticed a drop very quickly, I think he measured KH about 15 minutes after dosing.

post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I did not measure the change... I believe Burr noticed a drop very quickly, I think he measured KH about 15 minutes after dosing.

Wow very nice. Have you found this method to be stable, as in, the KH remains gone indefinitely?
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Wow very nice. Have you found this method to be stable, as in, the KH remains gone indefinitely?

Thatís the idea, you need to keep up with new water during water changes to maintain it.

Let me point you to where it all got started for me... worth a read through, many good posts further down as well.

120 Gal Dutchy Freestyle - Now with 35% less water volume!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

Greggz and Immortal1 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode