Do Plants need GH/KH? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Do Plants need GH/KH?

We have Rainwater here in Seattle area, the water out of tap is very soft with close to no minerals.
Reads around 6 ph, 0-1 kh, 0-1 gh.

I know keeping a stable parameter is critical for livestocks but is this same for plants as well?

I'm trying to find out if I need to buffer my water with product like seachem equilibrium or gh booster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi damgyeah,

Yes, we have extremely soft water here in Seattle. In Renton it comes from the Cedar River; further north it comes from South Fork of the Tolt River. The water out of my tap is <1.0 dKH, 1.0 - 2.0 dGH, and [email protected] de-gassed after 24 hours.

Yes, to successfully grow healthy, green, lush plants we do need to add something that provides calcium and magnesium to our water along with the typical nutrients like nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and the various micro-nutrients. I have used Seachem Equilibrium with success in the past but with 5 tanks I now make my own GH Booster. When Tom Barr spoke at the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS) he suggested adding sufficient Equilibrium / GH Booster to increase the hardness by at least 2.0 dGH. If we are using CO2 in our tanks we also need to increase the dKH to avoid a "pH crash" from the CO2.

Is it possible to grow a healthy tank of plants without CO2 here in Seattle.....sure! 10 gallon, low light ([email protected]), no CO2 but ferts and liquid carbon
burr740 likes this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 04-01-2019 at 04:03 PM. Reason: sp
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 07:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
The following are needed for plants to grow Excluding light, water, CO2. Nitrogen, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, phosphate, Sulfur, Chlorine, Iron, Manganese, Boron, Zinc, Copper, molybdenum, nickel. So yes calcium and magnesium are needed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode