9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yet another cycling thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
I don't have any quarantine tanks, but she is the only one in her tank. I know the tank she is in is clean, and that it was likely the tank she came out of that had issues. Regardless, I gave both tanks a very large water change. Her heat was running too hot at 81 F and I tried to cool it down a little, but now I am going to let it warm back up since I read a little extra heat will help. I've tried researching what medications to apply but all I have found so far is to use aquarium salt, 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons (so 1 tsp for a 3.7 gallon). I want to be sure that's correct however, so that I don't make things worse.

Iím a big fan of the med trio that Aquarium Co-app recommends. General Cure, EM Erythromycin, and Ich-X. Covers your bases and itís relatively safe (Iíve had inverts and plants come out of it unharmed many times). For more serious, or gram negative bacterial infections, you want to use Furan 2, but that can really impact your bacteria so keep an eye on ammonia if you need to resort to that medication. I havenít had the med trio personally negatively impact my cycle.

Edit: Yeah, 81 is nowhere near out of the safe zone for bettas. They naturally live in pretty shallow waters in areas that have considerably hot summers. They are still comfortable at 81.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby
As mentioned, we can all argue seperate points till our eyes bleed.
My experience is: fluctuating pH is not good. Low pH will harm snails and shrimp... so you need to supplement with calcium (cuddlebone tied to a rock is a good start... watch them swarm over it and get what they need to prevent shell erosion) which will also raise your pH and increase hardness..... so I think we all say the same thing, just in different ways.

If you want some cuddbone or limestone... Ill send you some rocks for free- just pay shipping I have lots of extra decorah shale which will add the calcium your inverts need.... see my new tank work in progress (I treated all the stone... I can ensure there are no sharp edges for you if you let me know what size you want). Wit hthat small tank, I can make a small stack for you, and even glue on some moss..... it will be ready to drop in your tank

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...oto-heavy.html

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-24-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added link
post #78 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@varanidguy I've read Kanaplex helps with cloudy eye so I'm considering dosing some of that. What has me concerned about her cloudy eye is that in most pictures I've found of other fish with cloudy eye, the outer globe of the eye is cloudy. In her case, it seems like the pupil itself has clouded over, inside the eyeball.

get out of my house

post #79 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
@varanidguy I've read Kanaplex helps with cloudy eye so I'm considering dosing some of that. What has me concerned about her cloudy eye is that in most pictures I've found of other fish with cloudy eye, the outer globe of the eye is cloudy. In her case, it seems like the pupil itself has clouded over, inside the eyeball.
Is this the same Betta that died or a different one?

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Last edited by Discusluv; 04-25-2019 at 05:28 AM. Reason: more info
post #80 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Discusluv This is the new one that went into the tank that just cycled. Other than the eye, she seems to be fine.

get out of my house
post #81 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 05:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Okay. Probably just injury due to netting or handling being that the fish is new.

I would treat with non-iodized salt ( 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) and methelyne blue ( can use Paraguard) just in case it is eye flukes. Most likely not- but as a precaution.

Is this the tank you are having trace ammonia issues in? If so, transfer to the other tank where having no cycling problems. Change water frequently- at least 25-50% every 3 days. Adding back salt take out through water changes.
If you start to see blood in the eye or swelling that leads to a Popeye then will need to treat with antibiotic. But, right now- try just the salt and water changes.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #82 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Discusluv I'm guessing bioload was a bit heavy when both were in the 5 gallon, and the new one (the 3.7 gallon) finished cycling. Now both tanks show no traces of ammonia.

Non-iodized salt, not aquarium salt or epsom salt, right? I'll have to order the Paraguard online, my LFS doesn't have it, but I'll expedit the shipping.

get out of my house
post #83 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
@Discusluv I'm guessing bioload was a bit heavy when both were in the 5 gallon, and the new one (the 3.7 gallon) finished cycling. Now both tanks show no traces of ammonia.

Non-iodized salt, not aquarium salt or epsom salt, right? I'll have to order the Paraguard online, my LFS doesn't have it, but I'll expedit the shipping.
If you have aquarium salt, that is fine.

Not Epsom salt, no.

post #84 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby
Can you post a image? I had a female awhile back that I thought that a problem- I treated her over and over with every med possible with no resolution. Finally I just gave up, I fixed her water parameters and she was fine a in a matter of days.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #85 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@livebearerlove I've got an image of her with the eye here.

Her tank parameters have been normal:

Water Parameters - 04/24/19 (after water change)
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
GH: 8.4
Chlorine: 0
KH: 0
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0
Temperature: 77.5

Water Parameters - 04/25/19
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
GH: 8.4-16.8
Chlorine: 0
KH: 0
pH: 6.2-6.8
Ammonia: 0
Temperature: 78.1

get out of my house
post #86 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby
That look stress related to me... I would treat with salt, and some good live food Brine shrimp seem to magically make my fish better all the time. haha!

post #87 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@livebearerlove Couldn't find crushed coral at the LFS but I did find cuttlebone. I was thinking of starting with one tank first (the newest), breaking the cuttlebone into thirds, and adding more if the KH isn't high enough until KH is 5. I want to put it in the filter compartment with the water pump. Do I need to put the cuttlebone in nylon or is it okay on its own?

get out of my house
post #88 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Regarding KH or there lack of:

I've struggled with maintaining a 'normal' KH level in my tank for a long time; even before I started using RO. I've done the cuttlebone thing as well as stuff crushed coral into my filters. The cuttlebone didn't do anything as I didn't add enough of them and the crushed coral would expire or lose its ability to be effective over a short period of time, hence making using it a high maintenance deal which I'm not about.

Today I spent a couple of hours on Dennis Wong's site. Any advice I've taken and used that Dennis has offered has never resulted in failure, so I'm trusting him again with KH issues. I haven't tried this yet, my order of Potassium Carbonate will be here tomorrow, but that is one of two things he suggests using as it doesn't affect GH. https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...softwater.html

Cuttlebones and crushed coral may work well in small tanks, they just didn't work in my 29 tall or my now 40 breeder. A sprinkle of Potassium Carbonate is a much suitable solution from where I'm sitting. As it is right now, all I use is a sprinkle of baking soda to bring up my pH.

I'm tossing this out into void. Do whatever works for you.
post #89 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

@Smooch if I am not mistaken some of the issues you probably had with crushed coral is that once the PH is a certain level it quits reacting and doesnt adjust anything. Pretty sure PH needs to be below 7.0(?) to make it leach into the system. Once PH is high enough it stops reacting. I could be wrong so do some research. Personally I was struggling with GH and am using equilibrium to bring that up with good success for the most part.
post #90 of 94 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
@livebearerlove Couldn't find crushed coral at the LFS but I did find cuttlebone. I was thinking of starting with one tank first (the newest), breaking the cuttlebone into thirds, and adding more if the KH isn't high enough until KH is 5. I want to put it in the filter compartment with the water pump. Do I need to put the cuttlebone in nylon or is it okay on its own?
Not sure how big your tank or cuddlebone is.... I use a piece 2x1 in my filter with a HOB on my 6 gallon with coral. On my 2.5 gal I use a piece 1in by 1in.

But I also tie a piece to a rock or lead (for weight) in the tank. The snails/shrimp get a kick out of it.

It’s fine by it’s own... I even scrape a bit with my fingernail during water changes. Barbaric I’m sure... but it is such a slow release... time always tells 😉

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode