Yet another cycling thread - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mosby View Post
@livebearerlove If I have to raise the KH, I think crushed coral sounds like a more stable way to go. Just have to figure out how much would be needed.
I would add a bit (6 gal I use 2 tablespoons) to a filter bag in your filter.... and then wait. SLOWLY it will make an impact. Sooner or later you might need to add more (wait 7 days, it very gradual).

I found myself in a precarious position many years ago, and quite literally my substrate had to be crushed coral, with aquasoil on top.... and NEVER change the water. It was a lesson I will never forget (brilliant tank- but quite the BS... should have switched to RO... you but live and learn).

At this point, I just put it in a filter bag with crushed coral in the filter.... got me where I needed to be. But dont get hung up on tiny parameters...

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-08-2019 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Bump: I also add a broken small piece (quarter coin size) of cuddle bone I picked up off the beach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Do not use crushed coral - it will lead to instability because it will be fighting with your soil.

Leave the KH alone. Amazonia takes care of KH for you and provides the stability you want.

To increase GH (mostly calcium and magnesium), use a GH booster or a mix of calcium sulfate (gypsum salt) and magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt).
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby
Im getting closer...

How are your parameters today?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5334.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	880259  

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@natemcnutty Gotcha! I use Salty Shrimp Mineral GH+ for my GH booster.

@livebearerlove Had high nitrates and nitrites so I did a water change earlier. These are the latest parameters, except I just dosed ammonia for 4 ppm.

Nitrate: 10 ppm
Nitrite: 3 ppm
GH: 8.4
Chlorine: 0
KH: 0
pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 1
TDS: 195
Temperature: 81.9

get out of my house
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 11:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby
pH: 7.4
GH/KH 4.5
Ammonia: 2
Nitrites: .50
Nitrate: 40
Temp: room temp- 74 degrees

I have the 'slime coat' on glass and stones Im careful not to turn the light on or it will be algae, lol. Since my ammonia is dropping, ill add the bubbler today and Thrive C (half dose).

End of this week ill do a 50% water change and plant it. I ordered more plants- but turns out we are about to get 10" of snow so im sure things will be delayed... ugh.
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
@Ryan Mosby
pH: 7.4
GH/KH 4.5
Ammonia: 2
Nitrites: .50
Nitrate: 40
Temp: room temp- 74 degrees

I have the 'slime coat' on glass and stones Im careful not to turn the light on or it will be algae, lol. Since my ammonia is dropping, ill add the bubbler today and Thrive C (half dose).

End of this week ill do a 50% water change and plant it. I ordered more plants- but turns out we are about to get 10" of snow so im sure things will be delayed... ugh.
Sounds like you're a lot closer to getting cycled than me! My nitrites are still a pain.

Hope it doesn't snow, too. We had a freak snow storm some time ago, right around when I would be getting some plants delivered. It really didn't help the plants anyway, being in near freezing temperatures.

get out of my house
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 12:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby

Update for Friday:
Ammonia .50
Nitrites .50
Nitrates 80

So for me, now would be a good time to plant. Of course moving substrate may give me a bit of a spike, but it should be temporary. Then ill wait till it comes down.... Im not going to 'dose' ammonia anymore (I was keeping it around 5ppm... but its eating it up now).

Ill keep you updated. But its heading in the right direction.
PS: We got 9 inches or so. Snowing still. lol. Poor plants are somewhere on track to my house but the package was delayed.... hmmm I wonder why! lol.
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@livebearerlove

You're definitely going to win! It's too soon to do a test today on mine but here's the parameters from last night after a water change and a dosing from 1 ppm to 4 ppm of ammonia. Nitrites are still unfortunately high. Relying on the aquasoil and not pure ammonia really delayed the cycling. I've never seen TDS so low before.

Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 5-10 ppm
KH: 1-2
pH: 7.8-8.4
Ammonia: 4ppm
TDS: 17
Temperature: 81

get out of my house
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 06:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
@livebearerlove

You're definitely going to win!
....You can do it!.... I just planted my tank... I tried to braid my Moringa tree and sure enough I broke some of the roots no idea how it will work out. Im getting another tank on Monday..... I can start to cycle that one too and see if I can catch up to you
Ill see if

I think the key is the perfect environment for bacteria......use old media, instant high ammonia (keep it in that 2-5ppm) with filter on, lights off, stead high pH, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.13.33 AM.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	880475  

evil8 likes this.

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-13-2019 at 06:39 PM. Reason: I added the picture
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
....You can do it!.... I just planted my tank... I tried to braid my Moringa tree and sure enough I broke some of the roots no idea how it will work out. Im getting another tank on Monday..... I can start to cycle that one too and see if I can catch up to you
Ill see if

I think the key is the perfect environment for bacteria......use old media, instant high ammonia (keep it in that 2-5ppm) with filter on, lights off, stead high pH, etc.
That tank is amazing! My driftwood is set up in a similar way your rocks are. It sticks out of the top of the water so I'm looking into plants that can be attached to the top that are also okay with possibly being in the water. I'm thinking of giving hydrocotyle tripartita a try. I can't do any tall plants because I plan to keep the top on (since bettas can jump).

My nitrites and nitrates were so high (despite having done a water change the day before) that I did another water change last night. I'm not very happy with the nitrites still:

Water Parameters - Day 16 - 04/12/19 (cycling) (after water change)
Nitrite: 10+ ppm
pH: 6.2
Ammonia: 0.5
TDS: 16
Temperature: 82.2

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 04-13-2019 at 09:30 PM. Reason: added parameters
post #41 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@livebearerlove Today I goofed. I did a water change midday, and forgot to dose the ammonia to 4 ppm. 4-5 hours later I documented the water parameters and found the ammonia was 0. I quickly dosed to 4 ppm again but I'm worried with the nitrites being so low that I may have starved the bacteria.

Nitrite: 3 ppm
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0 (dosed to 4 ppm after)
TDS: 19
Temperature: 82.3

get out of my house

Last edited by Ryan Mosby; 04-15-2019 at 04:49 AM. Reason: mention
post #42 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Ryan Mosby

Im sure if you did a water change and ammonia was 0 that means they were pretty low to begin with... I doubt they starved, I bet your bacteria are working overtime!
If your ammonia dropped like that, you may have built up a good amount of bacteria. Usually you look for ammonia and nitrites to be zero... but it goes from ammonia to nitrites- Remember: 4ppm is a lot of fish poop and fish food and takes time to go through the full cycle of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. I read that 'appropriately stocked fish tanks produce 2-4ppm of ammonia a day per gallon' (cant remember where i read that... and i suppose it would depend as snails and goldfish would produce more than shrimp and tetras and consider what you feed them, etc).

Today my readings with no water changes:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25 (but i was screwing with the filter today)
Nitrates: 40

I added a Snow white platinum guppy... looks like the little brother of your guy! haha.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5431.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	880525  

post #43 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@livebearerlove Beautiful fish and tank! Sadly I'm still in the stage where nitrites are so off-the-chart that I have to do a daily water change.

get out of my house
post #44 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
@livebearerlove Beautiful fish and tank! Sadly I'm still in the stage where nitrites are so off-the-chart that I have to do a daily water change.
Thanks. Did you put your fish in? is that why you are doing the water changes?
post #45 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Thanks. Did you put your fish in? is that why you are doing the water changes?
@livebearerlove No, the nitrites are still way too high to risk doing that. But they're also so high they're not readable. The guide on the forums says to do a water change to get the parameters within readable levels again. It'll seem like everything is fine after a water change and then bam, my nitrites are off the scale.

It may be due to decaying plant matter. I found a leaf that had melted into pure white fuzz and removed it today. The ends of frogbit roots that get pushed around by the current have also been melting in this fashion, so today I put in a hose divider to keep the frogbit out of the way. I can't move them to the other tanks because I've seen some pond snails in this tank (eliminating on sight) and I don't want to risk introducing them to my other tanks.

get out of my house

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode