Question about Equilibrium and sick fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question about Equilibrium and sick fish

My tap water is very soft around 1-2 gh 0-1 kh. I see it recommended that GH in in planted tank should be 3+ for healthy plants. This ends up requiring that I raise the GH of my tank about 2 degrees+ whenever I change water in my tank.

The measurement to raise 20 gallons 3 degrees its 1 table spoon.

For a 50% water change on a 20 gallon I add about 3/4 tsp to raise it about 1.5 degrees. It doesn't happen every water change, but it seems like over the course of 1-2 years I will usually have fish that develop some issues from water parameters fluctuating. I'm not sure if its because I'm not changing exactly 50% or something else. It doesn't seem like the water possibly changing .5-1 degree would be a lot, but they're nano fish (CPDs). It doesn't seem to affect my pygmy cories / shrimp / guppies.

I have no water quality issues. My ammonia, nitrite are always 0 and nitrates stay below 10.

big time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @mexicatz,

I seriously doubt that adjusting the water parameters is effecting the fish. In the wild fish are subject to changing water parameters on a continuous basis. Dry season with concentrated minerals, rainy season with substantially less minerals, downpour when water volume in a stream can change substantially in an hour or less.

Specifically what fish issues do you believe are related to fluctuating water hardness?

Now that said, some species (like livebearers) actually thrive in harder water verses soft water.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Seems to only happen with my celestial pearl danios. will be different illnesses. I've had I think 4 die from developing a single slime coat spot over the course of like a year (not all at once and at different times). I only successfully treated it once (no fuzz). Just had one die a couple days ago from dropsy.

The illnesses don't seem contagious to the others and I can only believe the cause might be the fluctuating parameter since I haven't been able to think of anything else. Only thing was the I got the majority from a single shipper and its possible those all developed the same illness but at different times

big time

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi @mexicatz,

Celestial Pearl Danios (CPD / Danio margaritatus) are somewhat new the hobby. They were discovered in a relatively small area in Myanmar and at one point were thought to possibly be extinct in the wild due to over-fishing. Almost all of the fish in the hobby come from commercial fish hatcheries and I suspect the species has been inbred so much as to effect their health and vigor.

There are still some wild caught specimens being brought into the country with very small specimens costing $6.00 or more. Of course, with wild caught specimens they need to be de-wormed and treated for fungus and diseases.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 PM
Algae Grower

Raising the GH won't have an adverse effect on livestock. The plants require the Ca/Mg/K that Equilibrium offers in order to thrive, so don't hesitate to add it when needed. The only fluctuating parameter that should be a concern is KH. As long as your KH doesn't change rapidly (more than 2 dKH in a day) then you should be fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode