Copper free plant fertilizer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Copper free plant fertilizer?

My plants seem to be dieing (photos attached) and I think I can save them with fertilizer. The problem is I am getting freshwater pom pom crabs and shrimp in 2 days (delievered). I've also attached a screen shot indicating any copper is detrimental to invertibrates. I was going to use tropica fertilizer or seachem excel but both contain copper.
Any help?? I dont want to lose my plants but I also reeeeaaaalllly want to keep these crabs and shrimp alive - they weren't cheap either!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_062420_1552134600967.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	878717  

Name:	20190309_062425_1552134616182.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	878719  

Name:	Screenshot_20190309-062712_Chrome_1552134633154.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	878721  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Algae Grower

Keep in mind there would be a toxicity level, small amounts of copper may be ok. I'm not an invert keeper though, so I have no clue what that amount may be.

Check out ThriveS from NilocG. Made for planted tanks with inverts, says no copper. Have not used, cannot speak to effectiveness as a fertilizer.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Algae Grower

The minute amount of copper in Flourish Excel is safe for inverts; but without knowing which Tropica product you're looking at, it's impossible to say. Most Seachem products are invert friendly and many are labeled as such on their website.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 PM
Algae Grower

I'm pretty sure they sell fertilizers online that are specifically made to be used in shrimp tanks,but I believe they are slightly expensive,just make sure that it's a small amount of copper and they should be okay
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Do not buy shrimp specific fertilizer. It's actually worse for your shrimp because the plants will no longer be healthy. The only time I'd buy these is if you know for certain your tap has a lot of copper.

Assuming you follow the directions and don't overdose (and it would actually have to be a lot overdosed), you will be fine. I've been dosing full EI with CRS and not had any deaths. I've also accidentally overdosed Flourish Comprehensive with no deaths.

For those interested, shrimp actually NEED copper in the same way we need iron. The issue is when they get excess of it that it becomes toxic. This is why it is also OK that some shrimp specific foods contain copper.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Do not buy shrimp specific fertilizer. It's actually worse for your shrimp because the plants will no longer be healthy. The only time I'd buy these is if you know for certain your tap has a lot of copper.

It's a big stretch to say your plants won't be healthy if you use a shrimp-specific fertilizer, as there are plenty of examples to the contrary. As with all types of fertilizers, you just need to consider what nutrients you're delivering to the tank and balance the rest of your parameters accordingly.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:41 PM
Algae Grower

Brightwell Aquatics have 2 types of plant ferts that are designed and being marketed as for use in invert (shrimp) tanks.
That being said a trace amount of copper won't impact your sensitive inverts.
I have cardinia as well as the neocardinia shrimp, and have had no issues.
Greg

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode