Thoughts on my tank's Cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thoughts on my tank's Cycle

I have been testing my new tank daily... having a missed a few days. But, it seems like it is coming along and is cycling faster than I thought it would. I read through the fishless cycling information and would kind of like some thoughts on how things are going.

Below is my spreadsheet of what I've been tracking, nm means not measured. I color coded to indicate to myself what water change I performed

Yesterday, I saw my Nitrates go down with my Nitrates staying stable, since my ammonia was at .25 (it could have been 0 I am using an API kit and the colors were really close)

I dosed with DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride, and per instructions indicating to use 4 drops per gallon to end up with 2ppm, I ended up with 4 ppm...

Today it has dropped to 1 and Nitrites are at 2 ( but easily could be 5) and Nitrates are extremely High.

Seems the Tank is becoming established and I intend to do a water change. But Does anyone have any thoughts on how things are going?

Seems good and I think in a week or two of this I can probably begin to stock.

54 Gallon Corner Aqueon in it's infancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like the nitrifying bacteria just kicked into high gear. I'd recommend that you do some water changes to start to get the nitrates under control. Once it gets to 0/0/<20, you can slowly start to add livestock. It'll probably be a couple more weeks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode