How to measure calcium so I can balance maganesium? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to measure calcium so I can balance maganesium?

Im using RO water in a 20 gallon long. Big gray rocks with white strips in it. My kh is about 9 or 10 and my gh is around 7.

How can I figure out how much calcium these rocks are putting in to get my gh that high, or do I assume it's all calcium as rocks typically dont have magnesium?

I'm realizing my magnesium is probably way too low in terms of Ca:Mg ratios and trying to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

How do I test for Mg? How do I test for Ca?

Same as API.
API Ca test kit can detect 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, … ppm Ca.
Get 20 ml of aquarium water, add 5 drops of #1 solution and mix. Start adding 1 drop of #2 solution and mix and watch for colour change from pink to blue. Each drop of #2 solution equals to 5 ppm Ca.

More about API Ca

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like Edward beat me to this one :-)
Only other piece of advice - use a clear glass container and place the container on a white paper towel. Makes seeing the color change much easier.
Edward likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Crap, I thought that test only worked in salt water for some reason. I guess its only the proportions that matter.

Thanks guys.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode