Share your dosing thread - The Planted Tank Forum
 785Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Share your dosing thread

New thread - catchy title - pretty similar to another great thread

Many of you have either followed along with the Custom Micro Mix Thread or contributed. Lately I have been thinking it would be nice to have a thread where we could put our vast knowledge together AND make it easy to find useful details quickly. I put together some basic data to try and figure out why some odd things were happening in my tank. I figured I would compare that data to what other really nice tanks were doing. Interesting results from only a small data set followed. Showed it to @Greggz and @burr740. Gregg brought in some input from @Ken Keating1 and began working on something useful.

I am hoping that this first post will get updated on a regular basis. Will add / edit as things progress.

With regards to getting the information generated, the preferred method would be to fill out the spreadsheet that many of us are already using - see post #27 of this thread.

It is available here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...JZdxESN07exBsu

What we have so far. I will change this as more information is generated. "Anyone is welcome to participate, and looking forward to seeing more"
Several have mentioned substrate, so it has been added.

I - Inert............... E-Eco Complete............ A - Active...................D - Dirt................F - Flourite

Specific comments
Greggz, schooldazed, LRJ and 9 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Immortal1; 06-10-2019 at 12:48 AM. Reason: New info added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Are we to use a form someone has made or just a post?
I'll have to contribute so as to aid in controversy!
Grobbins48 and Ken Keating1 like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
It's not quite ready yet.

But check your PM shortly, I will send you a link, and would like to get your thoughts.

------------------

post #4 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Gregg is working on fine tuning the form. He posted it to a Google drive but I can't seem to figure out how to save / upload an edited file back to the Google drive.
And to add another wrinkle - I can't seem to edit a file that I posted
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

post #5 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking forward to checking this out- should be a great community resource from the sounds of it!

|

post #6 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
Looking forward to checking this out- should be a great community resource from the sounds of it!
OK.......here is the sneak peak.

Since this is meant to be a collaborative effort, why not collaborate now?

So here is the incubator version. Open to ideas. Once we get it finalized, then we need a methodology to collect data and update it. Have an idea and that is being tested now.

So what do you think? Useful?

------------------
post #7 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Is the goal to collect data as a snapshot in time, trends over time, or the individuals most updated dosing?

I do like harmonizing dosing results based on each individual specific water change amount- will really help to compare.

For micros- do you account for water changes, or because many of them are shorter lived do we not worry about them? Been thinking about possible micro accumulation recently. I understand that after 5 weeks or so it levels out, just not sure which micros actually stick around for a while or if it matters.

|

post #8 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Quote:
Is the goal to collect data as a snapshot in time, trends over time, or the individuals most updated dosing?

I do like harmonizing dosing results based on each individual specific water change amount- will really help to compare.

For micros- do you account for water changes, or because many of them are shorter lived do we not worry about them? Been thinking about possible micro accumulation recently. I understand that after 5 weeks or so it levels out, just not sure which micros actually stick around for a while or if it matters.

Good question. My guess would be a snapshot of what is working for you now. Maybe you find out what you were doing really didn't work that well so you make a change and the new amounts are reflected in the spreadsheet. I think the goal would be to find what works for you given your specific situation.

Example, Bob in North Texas has really hard water - like 90 calcium. He is stuck using this. What dosing could work for him based on other successes in that Ca range?
Example, What Steve is dosing looks pretty normal but for some reason things arn't working. His data show some odd ratios between ___ and ____.

Don't know the answers yet. Ask me in a few months

post #9 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I've downloaded the item, but until a week or so goes by I can't say what my dosing will be.
Don't think my initial new tank dose will count since it brought zero RODI up to my standard parameters.
In a week or so I can update.
Greggz and Grobbins48 like this.

post #10 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
My understanding is this is all open for suggestions, so have at it!

The difficult part of this is trying to obtain useful information but not acquire such levels of detail that it puts off everyone from using it. My experience with spreadsheets there's always a start, and it's not going to be perfect at first, but over time it gets better and better.
Greggz, Immortal1 and Grobbins48 like this.

post #11 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Well note the column that show "V1".

You start a new dosing scheme, now it's "V2".

So we can show changes over time.

As to water change amount, I posted mine as standard 50% EI water change. I think that has to be the standard (for now!).

And honestly, I am not sure where this leads??

But I do know that I would like to see a bunch of other folks dosing at a glance. If nothing else, should generate some interesting discussion/thoughts once we get some data. And who knows, maybe learn something from each other.

The point is that maybe collectively we can spot some trends...ratios....or something else that helps us all.

------------------
post #12 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Good question. My guess would be a snapshot of what is working for you now. Maybe you find out what you were doing really didn't work that well so you make a change and the new amounts are reflected in the spreadsheet. I think the goal would be to find what works for you given your specific situation.

Example, Bob in North Texas has really hard water - like 90 calcium. He is stuck using this. What dosing could work for him based on other successes in that Ca range?
Example, What Steve is dosing looks pretty normal but for some reason things arn't working. His data show some odd ratios between ___ and ____.
:
I was thinking it may be helpful to show a few different mixes from the same individuals, but limit it to X amount of different mixes. And each mix design would have a brief remarks column. I have a couple of different mixes, but Mix A worked with these plants but not others, and Mix B was completely the reverse plant wise.

Other thoughts: Different spreadsheets for inert and soil based substrates?

Bump: Can the Micros be arranged alphabetically to match the tank parameters SS? It be much easier to find the nutrients as opposed to having to hunt for them.

post #13 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
As to water change amount, I posted mine as standard 50% EI water change. I think that has to be the standard (for now!).
I'm out then I suppose.
Lazy sob I am, changing minimal water, only dosing what I think plants need and will consume.
Now my heart is broken since I cannot be an adequate contributor to this thread.

Admit it, you like the humor!
Greggz, Immortal1, OreoP and 2 others like this.

post #14 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:49 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great idea on making thread. Nothing like having easy access to what everyone's dosing schemes are like. This will be very helpful.
Greggz, Immortal1 and Ken Keating1 like this.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #15 of 437 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:09 AM
Algae Grower

Ohh man, and i just did a ton of work in a spreadsheet for something not as nice as this
Greggz and Ken Keating1 like this.

75 gallon reef to planted tank conversion. Definite work in progress! TJ Here

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode