It was nice to have my fishless cycle crash - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
It was nice to have my fishless cycle crash

I was coming to the end of my cycle and bang the dreaded PH crash. My ammonia was dropping from 2ppm to 0 every 12 hours. Nitrites were 5ppm and Nitrates were 80+ppm. Woke up yesterday morning and noticed Nitrites dropped to 0. Yay cycled!! Not so fast. Hmmm nitrates were 20ppm. There is something up. I checked PH and it dropped from 7.4 to below 6. I did a water change to get the buffers up to 7.2PH. I check the water 3 hours later PH back to below 6. I bust out the crushed coral and got PH back to 7.4 in about 12 hours.

I didnt add any more ammonia since the PH stalled things and the ammonia stayed at 1ppm. Woke up this morning to .5ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates....dead cycle. I just checked the parameters an hour ago .5ppm ammonia- 0-0...............100% dead.

Mostly just ranting but fishless cycling for 4-5 weeks to just fail is demoralizing. Im still new-ish but ive cycled 6 tanks in the last 5 years. The two I did fish-in went smooth and never lost anything. The four fishless ones..2 went smooth..1 went bad but saved...and this one 100% dead

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode