Is there a down side to low Nitrates (<10ppm) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 11:47 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Like cooking for 10 daily, eating alone, and throwing the leftovers out on Sandays. And not getting fatter.
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did my water change today and started the new fertz program. I hadn't vacuumed for a couple of weeks. Tried once but my new Acaras spawned 5 days after I brought them home and one got violent with the hose so I stopped. The eggs have hatched and the fry are not to be found. Long story short I was able to vacuum yesterday. Man, did it need it. As a result the nitrates had crept up to a little over 30ppm. After the water change that dropped to ~20ppm. Tank looks a bunch better.

20190223_121443 by pat w1, on Flickr

Most of the fish are in hiding after the WC the only ones visible are the Danios on the right and they are in a tight schoal. They tend to do that in response to a WC.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
Did my water change today and started the new fertz program. I hadn't vacuumed for a couple of weeks. Tried once but my new Acaras spawned 5 days after I brought them home and one got violent with the hose so I stopped. The eggs have hatched and the fry are not to be found. Long story short I was able to vacuum yesterday. Man, did it need it. As a result the nitrates had crept up to a little over 30ppm. After the water change that dropped to ~20ppm. Tank looks a bunch better.

20190223_121443 by pat w1, on Flickr

Most of the fish are in hiding after the WC the only ones visible are the Danios on the right and they are in a tight schoal. They tend to do that in response to a WC.
Very nice looking tank . Love the look of the rounded rock.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was thinking about something I read by @burr740 about the difficulty in insuring accurate dosing of CSM+B.

I make stock solutions for my dosing. Now that I'm in a sort of an experimental mode it makes sense to make small batches to remain agile enough to respond to the results I see in the tank. This plays directly into the issue Burr740 raised in that due to the intended large scale use in standard Agriculture the dosing of small amounts (<10g) would very likely result in inaccuracies rising from the varying consistency of the mix. Burr740 recommended to make a very concentrated solution and dose small amounts. This would require larger quantities of the mix and side step some of the consistency issues. I make an AIO which includes NO3 (as KNO3), PO4 (as KH2PO4), CSM+B and added 11% Fe DTPA as a hedge against pH issues. This wasn't as much of a problem when mixing a 1 liter batch for 11+ weeks. However, I noticed something on the latest 4 week test batch. The Qty of CSM+B called for was reduced to less than 8g. It became clear the mixing issue of the dry CSM+B could have a negative impact on the accuracy of the final mix. If I reduce my batch sizes down further to a two week supply the issue will become acute.

To alleviate this I've decided to make up an aqueous solution of only CSM+B (with Ascorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate for stability) to use as a component of my stock solutions. The aqueous mix will be 1g CSM+B to 10ml distilled water (10ml final volume). When my recipe calls for ... say 3.8g, I'll simply use 38ml (via syringe) instead. I've done a solubility check with Rotala Butterfly and with my own StockSolPro spreadsheet. My first qty will be 750ml (75g CSM+B).
burr740 likes this.

{new - in progress }

Last edited by Cichlid-140; 02-26-2019 at 03:05 PM. Reason: edit
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:51 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
@Cichlid-140 thats a great explanation of the potential issues and an excellent solution for handling it. Damn good post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
@Cichlid-140 thats a great explanation of the potential issues and an excellent solution for handling it. Damn good post
Thank you.

{new - in progress }

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode