Too much light or fert deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By JimTemp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much light or fert deficiency?

I've got a 50 gal. planted tank. Today I noticed that many of the plant leaves at or near the surface of the tank are looking blanched, lighter colored, but showing veins.(see pic). Not only the very newest growth (and these plants grow very quickly) but other older leaves that are near the top of the tank. Is this from a nutrient deficiency or are they "sunburned". I have 2 Kessil 360's at 30%, 8" above the surface for 7 hours a day. I know this is intense lighting, and I noticed this happening a few months ago. But it seemed to go away after a trimming. I use Thrive+ by Nilocg Aquatics as well as Seachem Iron, Flourish, Excel and Potassium on alternating days. I also use pressurized Co2 when lights are on (7 hours a day). I change 50% of the water weekly. I attach pic of a section. Any insight or suggestions would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plants.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	877905  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:40 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
It's photooxidative stress as a result of poor nutritional balance. Excess Fe + high light intensities results in reactive oxygen species which damage/impair chlorophyll. There's already excessive Fe in Thrive+ so adding more on top of it will exacerbate the issue.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok, and I was thinking just the opposite, chlorosis. But that makes perfect sense, I have been dosing alot of Seachem Iron the last few weeks. I usually figure, with the weekly 50% water change, I'm alright. Thanks!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It could be iron, or maybe not.

My guess is it has nothing to do with it. But hard to tell when you don't list how much you are dosing of anything. Could just as easily be a deficiency of something.

All in all, the plant looks pretty good to me. More going right than wrong. What does the rest of the tank look like?

You should start a journal, and provide all of the details of the tank, along with some full tank shots. Lot's of folks here who would be happy to offer their advice, and it's a good way to get involved in the community.

And the thing is, many times folks blame problems strictly on dosing. But often the reality is they have other issues that need to be addressed first. Call it the holistic approach. Looking at the tank in it's entirety.

Just saying diagnosing a tanks problems based on one picture is like reading tea leaves. Someone can see whatever they want to see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTemp View Post
I use Thrive+ by Nilocg Aquatics as well as Seachem Iron, Flourish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Excess Fe + high light intensities
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTemp View Post
I have been dosing alot of Seachem Iron the last few weeks.
The water column could be quite high in Fe by now.
From previous reading plants do not regulate their iron uptake.
If it's there they absorb it.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies! It does seem to point to excessive iron dosing. But I've also read that Seachem Iron does not stay in the water column very long. Something to do with the nature of ferrous iron (is that chelated iron?). Anyway, here's some more details about my aquarium.

A little over one year old 50 gal. long ("breeder") tank. Lighting is two Kessil 360w Tuna Sun LEDs on 30% intensity and 30% color spectrum for 7 hours a day. Pressurized co2 provided with a Milwaukee regulator and a Milwaukee pH controller. co2 is only on during the 7 hour light period. I run the co2 off the Eheim canister through a Little Fishies Reactor and returns through a Lily Pipe. I also have a Seachem Tidal 110 HOB, as well as an Eheim 2217 canister filter. Substrate is about 3" of Carib Sea Eco Complete, with Dragon Stone and Spiderwood. Plants include The Water Wisteria - Hygrophila difformis (featured in the above pic), floating Water Sprite - Ceratopteris thalictroides, as well as some Monte Carlo carpet, and a few Onion Plants (name?).
Fish include 2 Bolivian Rams, an Electric Blue Ram, a nijsseni Apisto, a pair of Cockatoo Apistos, a Macmasteri Apisto, some Harlequin Rasboras, some Neon Tetras and a couple of Siamese Algae/Flying Foxes (which are getting too big). Other than that a few Amano Shrimp and some snails of unknown origin.

Dosing: I've been experimenting/testing many different ferts and additives and levels of each since the beginning. The last month or so this has developed into my own admittedly mad-scientist regimen of the following:
The week starts with:
Sun - 50% water water change. I add about a teaspoon of Seachem Equilibrium as well. I then dose 10ml of Thrive+ and and 5ml of Metricide 14 (Glutaraldehyde).
Mon. - 12 ml Seachem Trace, 5ml Metricide 14 (also was dosing 5ml of Seachem iron - which will be stopped)
Tues. - 5ml of Seachem Flourish comprehensive, 5ml Metricide 14
Wed. - 7 ml of Flourish Potassium, 5ml Metricide 14, (also was dosing 5ml of Seachem iron - which will be stopped)
Thurs. - about 10 ml of Dustin's Growth Juice (8 pumps), 5ml Metricede 14
Fri. - 12ml Seachem Trace, 5ml Metricede 14 & 5 ml Seachem Iron (the iron is being stopped now)
Sat. 7ml Seachem Potassium, 5ml Metricide 14.

Water levels:
Ammonia - 0, Nitrite - 0, Nitrate 10- 20, Gh was 1, as I've added Seachem Equilibrium, it's raised to 2. ph used to be 6.8-7. Between the co2 (although off at night) and and the Equilibrium, the day starts out at about 6.4 these days. I take it down to 5.7 with the pH controller. The drop checker shows green, the fish are happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Planted pic.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	877965  

Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode