Cloudy water in established tank after custom micros - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I switched to custom micro mix a month ago based on another thread (link at the below). First three weeks no problem and some improvements on the plants. This week I missed a the water change and my co2 was kinda low. I'm using diy baking soda citric acid mix co2 and it was low for a couple of days.

So I get this cloudy water in the last week. Water changes and purigen does not seem to solve the problem. l don't know if it is bacteria bloom or Fe-Po4 precipitate. Any help will be great for me.

Micro ppms - 3x per week;

Iron: 0,2
Manganese: 0,06
Zinc : 0,07
H3BO3: 0,05
Sodium Molybdate: 0,0015
Copper Sulfate : 0,0024

Macro ppms - 3x per week;

No3: 8.33
Po4: 1.8
K: (only from above two): 6

Mg: 15 ppm
Ca: I don't know. Only from top water

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ix-thread.html

I really can not tell if it is green bacteria bloom or precipitation. So I can go with UV or blackout. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190219_191602.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	877737  

Name:	IMG_20190219_191616.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	877739  

Name:	IMG_20190219_191606.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	877741  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-20-2019 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
What kind of Fe? Gluconate can do that, highly unlikely with edta or dtpa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 12:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yusufsarac View Post
First three weeks no problem and some improvements on the plants. This week I missed a the water change and my co2 was kinda low. I'm using diy baking soda citric acid mix co2 and it was low for a couple of days.

So I get this cloudy water in the last week.
My guess is that it is a bacterial bloom. As least that is what it what it looks like to me.

And no water change and no CO2 likely part of the problem (unhappy plants, excess detritus). Also look for any fish that may be missing, as ammonia can also bring it on.

I'd clean filters, vacuum substrate, trim dying leaves, etc. Just get things uber clean. UV light should also help, and then some patience while tank gets back in balance.

Of course, could be completely wrong and it is micros, but unlikely in my opinion.

------------------

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
What kind of Fe? Gluconate can do that, highly unlikely with edta or dtpa
It is Dtpa-FE%7. With a couple of days past and after water changes, it is not getting better. I thought it would be gone after some WC if it is a Fe issue. So I think it is bacteria bloom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
My guess is that it is a bacterial bloom. As least that is what it what it looks like to me.

And no water change and no CO2 likely part of the problem (unhappy plants, excess detritus). Also look for any fish that may be missing, as ammonia can also bring it on.

I'd clean filters, vacuum substrate, trim dying leaves, etc. Just get things uber clean. UV light should also help, and then some patience while tank gets back in balance.

Of course, could be completely wrong and it is micros, but unlikely in my opinion.
Thank you for the advices, Now I think it is a bacteria bloom too. But very confusing because it does not seem green to me. It is somewhat white-ish. I can not tell the exact color.

It is very dissappointing feeling when you think your tank is just starting to get better.

Last edited by yusufsarac; 02-21-2019 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:10 PM
Algae Grower

Looks similar to what I had. Even with tons of back to back water changes, zero nitrite and ammonia it persisted in my tank. I gave up and zapped it with a cheap UV sterilizer and took care of it. Don’t know if what I did was right, but it worked!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 11:51 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
If bacterial bloom, add air stone and oxygenate the water.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Looks similar to what I had. Even with tons of back to back water changes, zero nitrite and ammonia it persisted in my tank. I gave up and zapped it with a cheap UV sterilizer and took care of it. Donít know if what I did was right, but it worked!
Did you try a blackout ? I'm gonna try a blackout, wondering if there is any rules of making a blackout, how many days max, WC before or after, cut co2 etc..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode