3Likes
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 2 Post By Edward

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Testing iron levels

I've been dosing with API Leaf Zone, which gives its composition as 3% K2O equivalent and 0.1% iron equivalent as chelated iron. I don't have obvious signs of chlorosis in the tank, but some young leaves are a trifle light, so I got a Seachem iron test claiming to measure iron to less than 0.05 mg/l. The test showed no iron detectable in my aquarium water.

I calculated the dose needed to give the entire tank 0.25 mg/l and applied the dose this morning, then tested my water an hour later, after there had been time for thorough mixing. No iron detectable.

Hmm.

I then mixed some of the Leaf Zone with distilled water, at what should have given a value of 1 mg/l. Check my math: 0.1% iron in the Leaf Zone is one part per thousand, which means one ml Leaf Zone per liter in my test solution should yield one mg/l. That's what I mixed up (actually, half an ml in a half liter.) I was out all afternoon and did not do my final check on the test for several hours, so there was plenty of time for the test to register. Still no iron detectable.

I used the calibration solution provided with the test, and it registered as expected. This is not chelated iron, but raw reduced iron; but the test kit claims that chelated iron can be measured, if you simply give the test a full hour or more to register.

My conclusion from this run of experiments is that the test is not, in fact, capable of measuring EDTA-chelated iron (I checked the API web site to confirm that this is the chelating agent used.)

Anyone see other possibilities, or any other hole in my logic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I've not used API Leaf Zone but used both EDTA-chelated iron and DTPA- chelated iron and used a Hanna checker that has detected with no issues the Fe levels very close to the amount dosed.
kgbudge likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

I cannot say anything about the iron in your fertilizer. However you should be aware that plants need 14 elements to grow. Leaf zone one has 2 of them. It is a very poor fertilizer for aquariums. I wouldn't worry about your low iron readings from leaf zone. Instead I would suggest you switch to using Nilocg.com Thrive or Aquarium coop Easy Green fertilizer.

ThriveC | Premium Liquid Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/product...one-fertilizer

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Seachem Fe instructions say “For chelated iron, allow colour to develop for 30 to 45 minutes or until the colour no longer darken.”

Because it doesn’t work, I emailed Seachem with documented details. They replied with automated BS email about me not understanding how fast plants “utilize” iron. So I replied that plants are not involved and the test is done with demineralized water. Seachem did not reply since. How typical.

Anyway, I found a solution.
DTPA Fe takes 48 hours to detect and reads 1/2 of the actual concentration.
EDTA Fe takes 24 hours to detect and reads 1/2 of the actual concentration.
Unchelated Fe is detected correctly in minutes.

The test plate is so tiny it needs demineralized water additions to compensate for evaporation and stirring. And for aquarium use, any detectable level should indicate enough.

Picture:
A 1 ppm Fe DTPA 24 hours
B 1 ppm Fe EDTA 24 hours
C 0.4 ppm Fe Seachem sample 1 hour

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...l#post11174737
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seachem_Fe.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	877525  

Seattle_Aquarist and kgbudge like this.

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

Last edited by Edward; 02-18-2019 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Added link

Tags
seachem fe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode