LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Decatur View Post
I will try to break that mindset. I wont lie, i think it's going to be tough
I'll play for the other team.

Chasing parameters is easy, just change the same amount of water each week, and dose the same amount of crud into RO water once a week. Simple.

All I do is target:
1.5 degrees of kH using KHCO3
35ppm Ca using CaSO4
15ppm Mg using MgSO4

using a calibrated mini scale to weight out each compound ensures consistency, dose this into my new, incoming water and I use pure RO water for top-offs.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
If you can the best automation you can do is auto water change. Get yourself a stenner dual head pump and have it trigger once a week to do your water change. I assume you own an apex? If so, it will make life easier. My apex doesn't do much on my tank anymore but trigger the auto water change, dose the fert, turn t5 on and off, and control the cor pump.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
If you can the best automation you can do is auto water change. Get yourself a stenner dual head pump and have it trigger once a week to do your water change. I assume you own an apex? If so, it will make life easier. My apex doesn't do much on my tank anymore but trigger the auto water change, dose the fert, turn t5 on and off, and control the cor pump.
I have the DOS doing 2 gallons a day (normally) i just kicked it up to 4 trying to get calcium levels down. I want a stenner dual head as im not sure how much the steppers in the DOS can take. But it's been doing 2GPD for about a year now.

75 gallon reef to planted tank conversion. Definite work in progress! TJ Here

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I have the DOS doing 2 gallons a day (normally) i just kicked it up to 4 trying to get calcium levels down. I want a stenner dual head as im not sure how much the steppers in the DOS can take. But it's been doing 2GPD for about a year now.
The dos should do fine on the planted as you only triggering it once a week.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:08 PM
Planted Member

Yes, it is a completely different way of looking at nutrients as the plants soak up all the nutrients that can get.
An that makes keeping plants much easier that corals for the most part.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok, co2.... ive heard aim for 1 point drop in ph. then i look at rotalas c02 calculator and for my water, its not 1 pt, but more like .7. which do i go by? i really cant go by plant looks, as they all look like crap right now and im still working out my baselines.

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
ok, co2.... ive heard aim for 1 point drop in ph. then i look at rotalas c02 calculator and for my water, its not 1 pt, but more like .7. which do i go by? i really cant go by plant looks, as they all look like crap right now and im still working out my baselines.
Go by drop checker.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
ok, co2.... ive heard aim for 1 point drop in ph. then i look at rotalas c02 calculator and for my water, its not 1 pt, but more like .7. which do i go by?
Rich I wouldn't base any decision on the calculator.

I entered my numbers (KH2/pH7.1) and it told me to drop to 6.30. My tank would hate me at that level.

My actual drop is to 5.75.

Like many things in this hobby, we rely on relative values more than absolute values. Over time you will find a drop that works well for plants and fish. I'd start with 1.0 drop and then go from there.

---
---
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Take it from someone who has been keeping reef tanks since 1985, you need to think the exact opposite of what you do for a reef tank. I use RO/DI for my make up water and water from the well for changes. If I did that in my reef, it would be a green gloppy swamp in 2 weeks. Basically, what you're doing in a planted tank is creating a visible refugium.
Edward likes this.

"The sea, the great unifier, is man's only hope. Now, as never before,
the old phrase has a literal meaning: We are all in the same boat."

Jacques Cousteau

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode