Is it possible to use Dennerle Shrimp King Sulawesi Salt GH+/KH+ for R/O and Neos - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
asliceofkate's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: near Houston, Tx
Posts: 74
Is it possible to use Dennerle Shrimp King Sulawesi Salt GH+/KH+ for R/O and Neos

Went to a LFS today and they had a Dennerle Shrimp King Sulawesi Salt GH+/KH+ on clearance for $4 so I bought it on the off chance I could use it for remineralizing R/O water for cherry shrimp. I can't seem to find a breakdown of the exact parameters that it's supposed to provide, only a list of parameters for Sulawesi itself, so I can't figure out if i can use it for cherry shrimp or not. Is it possible? How would I do it?
asliceofkate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
natemcnutty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,367
It's a great salt, but it's really designed for Sulawesi shrimp. It actually is designed to be used with RO water, but it had a lot more KH than standard neocaridina targeted salts would. The brings the pH up to 7.8-8.5 which is pretty high for neos.

They may or may not be OK with that, but for best chances, try to find a breeder who raises them in high KH/pH water close to that range.
natemcnutty is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
asliceofkate's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: near Houston, Tx
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
It's a great salt, but it's really designed for Sulawesi shrimp. It actually is designed to be used with RO water, but it had a lot more KH than standard neocaridina targeted salts would. The brings the pH up to 7.8-8.5 which is pretty high for neos.

They may or may not be OK with that, but for best chances, try to find a breeder who raises them in high KH/pH water close to that range.
Ok, well honestly this is kinda what I figured. I couldn't leave it there for $4 though. I think I'll just hold on to it for now. Maybe when I'm more experienced I can try Sulawesi shrimp. What would you recommend for remineralizing R/O for neos? Salty Shrimp GH/KH+?
asliceofkate is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
natemcnutty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by asliceofkate View Post
Ok, well honestly this is kinda what I figured. I couldn't leave it there for $4 though. I think I'll just hold on to it for now. Maybe when I'm more experienced I can try Sulawesi shrimp. What would you recommend for remineralizing R/O for neos? Salty Shrimp GH/KH+?
SaltyShrimp GH/KH was also made to be used with RO, and it is a great choice. If you plan to keep Caridinas like CRS or bees, I would get just the GH version, and then simply add a touch of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) for the neo tanks (or simply find the right amount to add to tap if your tap is acceptable).

That is still an awesome find for $4, and cardinals aren't too bad. Just make sure to use a heater controller and use two heaters off it. Also look into keeping rabbit snails with them.
natemcnutty is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
asliceofkate's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: near Houston, Tx
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
SaltyShrimp GH/KH was also made to be used with RO, and it is a great choice. If you plan to keep Caridinas like CRS or bees, I would get just the GH version, and then simply add a touch of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) for the neo tanks (or simply find the right amount to add to tap if your tap is acceptable).

That is still an awesome find for $4, and cardinals aren't too bad. Just make sure to use a heater controller and use two heaters off it. Also look into keeping rabbit snails with them.
Yeah it was a great deal. I also got some Dennerle Snow Pops for $9 and a bunch of old Marineland impellers and other parts for $.50 a piece for old equipment I have (such as an Eclipse 3 tank and a H.O.T. Magnum) If only that store wasn't over an hour away!

I am also looking at Nilocg's GH booster (which cost wise is the clear winner, but would I also need a KH booster?) and Seachem Equilibrium for remineralizing.

Thank you for all the time you spend helping out newbies like me. I don't post much, but I see you around often offering advice in a kind an accessible way. I really appreciate it!
asliceofkate is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sage Advice for Noobie Shrimp Keepers youjettisonme Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 194 09-02-2017 11:21 AM
My first attempt at setting up a shrimp tank lahornby Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 28 04-20-2017 07:51 PM
New to shrimp keeping shrimpkeeper Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 29 06-24-2013 03:38 PM
CRS vs. RCS beginnertoshrimp Shrimp & Other Invertebrates 56 09-02-2012 01:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome