• 1 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By Cichlid-140

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Front loaders

After reading people having success front loading macros, I been wanting to try it myself. I would be dosing my typical EI amount for 4 days. I understand plants are happy with stable parameters. My question is, will my plants and livestock go through an acclimation period?because of such heavy dosing after a water change. And what are the benefits of front loading? I can dosing seachem iron every day? Or will the phosphates be too high the first few days? I justwould like to hear some of your thoughts and experiences using this method. Thanks all
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Let's throw out some rough numbers. I'm dosing 5N and 1P in each macro dose, and my accumulation is 30N and 6P. Say I change 50%, so my next doses would go up like this: 20/4, 25/5, 30/6.

If I front load, I basically maintain 30/6 all the time because the 50% being replaced is immediately brought back up to levels that were in the tank.

I have been front loading 2/3 up front, 2 days of micros, last macro, 2 days of micros. Not really convinced any of it matters or makes a difference honestly.
Greggz likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've been front loading all macros for quite a while now.

The idea is that fert levels are more stable throughout the week.

I can't say if it's better, as there are too may other factors involved. I can definitely say it's not worse.

One thing for sure, it's a lot more convenient.
natemcnutty and Grobbins48 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Through professional chemical analysis of my tank, i was able to determine my tank maintains about 10 ppm of nitrates in the water column. Since I'm dosing 26 ppm NO3 per week, the tank usage rate of nitrates is 3ppm/day. I dose 3 ppm NO3 daily and on WC change day, I do a single additional dose of 5 ppm so Day 1 has a total dosage of 8 ppm. By doing this my tank is consistently at 10 ppm at the end of every day.

Greggz and burr740 like this.

Last edited by Ken Keating1; 02-01-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Grammar
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have been doing the frontloading of macros for a while now- and I really do like it. It is convenient to toss everything in right after the water change, and keeps the levels pretty much flat through the week.

Can't say if it is 'better', just that is it different, and for me worth it.

|

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I front load K2SO4 just because it's a major pain to get it to dissolve. Everything else goes into the stock solution. Gotta spread the dose of the micros out and since @burr740 put me onto the ascorbic acid trick to keep the Fe and the PO4 separated it's worked out fine in one bottle.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm on the front loading team as well, only I'm an elite player who tosses in a mid week shot of macros

Micros are 4x weekly (Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri) w/ 66% macros on Sun and 34% on Thur.

60% WC on Sun

Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's super convenient to only worry about 1 or 2 macro doses instead of 3 or 4 x weekly. Micro's can be a pain if you forget for a day though...

Make it super easy by using old tissue culture cups, or a weekly pill organizer, or any other small assortment of containers and build up a few dozen pre-measured doses. Just grab one on dose day and toss it in, boom simple 5 second job
Cichlid-140 likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
I'm on the front loading team as well, only I'm an elite player who tosses in a mid week shot of macros

Micros are 4x weekly (Sun, Mon, Wed, Fri) w/ 66% macros on Sun and 34% on Thur.

60% WC on Sun

Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's super convenient to only worry about 1 or 2 macro doses instead of 3 or 4 x weekly. Micro's can be a pain if you forget for a day though...

Make it super easy by using old tissue culture cups, or a weekly pill organizer, or any other small assortment of containers and build up a few dozen pre-measured doses. Just grab one on dose day and toss it in, boom simple 5 second job
+1

Greggz and Quagulator like this.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm gonna give it a whirl for a couple weeks. See how it does for me. Gonna be dosing Seachem Iron every day after the water change, part of my front load plan. Tomorrow is my water change day so I will make sure I clean filter and change sponges, to give this a clean slate.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode