Measuring Nitrate/Phophate when EI dosing - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darkblade48

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Measuring Nitrate/Phophate when EI dosing

Am I correct in thinking that if I've been dosing via the EI method and my Nitrate and Phosphate is still hanging around zero, that I can increase the dosage?

For context I let my substrate run out of nutrients and I'm rushing to get macros back into the tank. Algae has taken over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 11:30 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
It's a bit strange, as the EI method should definitely cause your phosphates and nitrates to increase.

Are you sure you are measuring correctly?

Of course, if you are sure everything is being measured correctly, you can increase the dosage.
Greggz likes this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Am I correct in thinking that if I've been dosing via the EI method and my Nitrate and Phosphate is still hanging around zero, that I can increase the dosage?

For context I let my substrate run out of nutrients and I'm rushing to get macros back into the tank. Algae has taken over.
There are many reasons for algae to take over a tank.

Fert dosing is just one of them. Could also be too much light, not enough light, not enough CO2, poor tank maintenance, etc.

If you really want help, you should post as many details as you can about the tank, including detailed fert dosing, along with pictures.

And if you are really dosing EI levels, there is no way your N & P are zero. Either you aren't getting correct readings, or you aren't dosing EI. There isn't a tank in the world that can consume EI level dosing.

------------------

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've already come to the long conclusion that a complete lack of macro nutrients vs high light (100-150 par) and co2 is the culprit.

I just wanted to make sure that nitrate tests should measure the nitrate I'm putting into my tank (kno2).

I calculated it all viathe rotala butterfly calc and cut the doses in half just in case i messed up the math and compound balancing, sincethe calculator doesn't do that part for you.

Tags
estimative index, measuring ferts, nitrate, phosphate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode