Subtrate Fertilizer Alternative to Osmocote+ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Subtrate Fertilizer Alternative to Osmocote+

I was looking into setting up a tank in the near future and found that when doing a low tech tank inspired by the Tom Barr variation of Diana Walstead low tech tank that many people recommended adding a fertilizer to some extent to the substrate if you use an inert one, which I am going to.

I found that the most common one i found for DIY root tabs and for overall fertilizing substrate from the beginning was Osmocote +, i have no problem finding some as i can get a 1lb bottle on Amazon, my question is if there is something about osmocote that is so appealing because i already have some slow release fertilizer around at home and wondered if it would work or if i should go ahead and buy the osmocote because i can use the osmocote around the house and in a garden as well eventually. I have heard that when it comes to osmocote an inmportant facotr is that it is polymer coated for slow realease, which the one i have is, i was wondering if there was specific metal amounts to watch for or macro ratios that are desired? i have on hand currently "Expert Gardener Plant Food Indoor/Outdoor 6 Month 19-6-12"

Below is the listed analysis of the product, besides the 19-6-12 it has 4.6% sulfur, no micros, 11.96 ppm arsenic, 1.52 ppm Molybdenum, and 0.278 selenium. other than that nothing is detectable.

Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Primary Nutrient
Total Nitrogen (N) 19
Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 6
Soluble Potash (K2O) 12

Secondary Nutrient
Calcium (Ca) 0
Magnesium (Mg) 0
Sulfur (S) 4.6
Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Micro Nutrient
Boron (B) 0
Chlorine (Cl) 0
Cobalt (Co) 0
Copper (Cu) 0
Iron (Fe) 0
Manganese (Mn) 0
Molybdenum (Mo) 0
Sodium (Na) 0
Zinc (Zn) 0
Heavy Metals (ppm)
Analysis
Arsenic (As) = 11.96
Cadmium (Cd) ND
Cobalt (Co) ND
Copper (Cu) ND
Lead (Pb) ND
Mercury (Hg) ND
Molybdenum (Mo) = 1.52
Nickel (Ni) ND
Selenium (Se) = 0.278

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode