The Planted Tank Forum banner

Continuous water change...

702 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  JeremyDMeyer76 
#1 ·
I've been considering setting up a continuous water change system on my 80 gallon. Right now I'm changing 30 gallons weekly and sometimes twice a week.

I'm using remineralized ro water that is stored in a self filling storage tank under the stand of my tank. Right now my water changes are very simple to do but it seems agressive.

I have an extensive reef background and my last tank was fully automated besides glass cleaning and feeding.

I was using a Spectepure Litermeter III and remote pump to pump clean premixed saltwater in the tank and pump dirty tank water to the drain.

Is there any reason I couldn't do the same thing with my freshwater planted tank but instead of saltwater use remineralized ro water premixed with ferts?

I could literally turn water changes to just adding the desired minerals and ferts to the reservoir and the rest would take care of itself.

Wouldn't this give me a lot more consistent water parameters and fert levels?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Been playing with that for close to a year now. Best thing I did! Had been out of the hobby a while and wanted to set up a nice tank (75g) but wasn’t going to put up with the water change hassle. I have recently (last couple months) started doing a 2x a day change of 2 gal each. A fountain pump kicks on and pushes 7651ml of water into the overflow drain that goes on into the house drain :). Dosing pumps kick on and deliver 15ml of diluted macros and 15 ml of diluted micros. Right now I am finally dialing in the gh/kh. Missed all the ferts while I was active years back so have had a lot of catching up. I have read the same explanations over and over again until I believe they are finally becoming internalized. I have tds sitting at about 300uS and am now finally watching for the plant uptake and the change over time with my formulas. I think it will be totally hands off in the coming months

Long post sorry but short answer is you are def on the right track!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.