Co2 with a sponge filter? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Immortal1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Co2 with a sponge filter?

Hi everyone I recently set up a 120 gallon tank and planted it. The plants aren’t high demand just a couple of cryps, java fern, Anubias, and swords. I know I don’t need to but I was thinking about adding a 5 gallon co2 system. But in addition to my canister filters I have two sponge filters going in the back corners. Just so I have some cycled sponges if I need to set up quarantine or hospital tank. Will the surface agitation caused by the sponge filters cause too much of a gas off and make the co2 obsolete? Should I even bother looking into installing a co2 system with the low demanding plants, will the work be risk the reward? Any input and advice is greatly appreciated, thank you 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yes, there could be some advantages to injecting CO2 in your tank. Given your plant list, you may see some increased growth rates but more than likely, not much.
I have air stones running in my tank at various intervals along with my injected co2. Yes, the air stones (or in your case, sponge filters) will burn off some co2 - which can be a good thing in certain cases.
Lot of good information in this article. Now, in your case is the "risk" or cost worth the reward? Maybe not.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- GreggZ Tank Parameters

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode