Kh Test Accurate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kh Test Accurate?

92 gal corner. 100% Flourite, pressurized CO2 (24 hrs/day), 3.8 wpg MH lighting x 10 hrs/day....
pH 6.5 (electronic meter and test kit)
KH 6.5-7
gh 1
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate .5
Nitrate 10
temp 84-86
PH/KH combination should mean my CO2 is around 60 or 70 ppm. I see no negative signs from the fish indicating high CO2 levels. I have tried 3 different KH test kits from 3 different manufacturers and all read about the same. Belief is something is causing my KH test kits to read high. Anyone seen anything like this? thanks....Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'm not understanding your train of thought. If three test kits come to the same levels, that should be the KH. Is your KH supposed to be lower?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
I'm not understanding your train of thought. If three test kits come to the same levels, that should be the KH. Is your KH supposed to be lower?
The point is with a KH of 6-7 and a PH of 6.5 your CO2 levels would be around 60 to 70 ppm...I would think the fish would be highly stressed or gasping for air...They are not...Fish are acting normal which leads me to believe my CO2 levels are not nearly as high as test indicate....thanks...Steve

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 02:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Ah I see. I am one though that doesn't believe fish die solely from high CO2. From personal experience and reading of others fish can live just fine at high levels. It is other problems that coincide with high CO2 that kills the fish.

If CO2 is getting very high that a sign there is no suface agitation. If plants are not photosythesizing well then oxygen will become depleted - fish die.

Or, since getting high CO2 usually happens by mistake and lowers the pH greatly, the quick and drastic change kills the fish.

Anyway, your KH seems like it could be off compared to your GH which is very soft. Do you use a water softener? Try resting a small sample of water for 12-24 hours. If the KH and pH give you around 3ppm of CO2, then your test kits seem fine.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 03:52 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum
The point is with a KH of 6-7 and a PH of 6.5 your CO2 levels would be around 60 to 70 ppm...I would think the fish would be highly stressed or gasping for air...They are not...Fish are acting normal which leads me to believe my CO2 levels are not nearly as high as test indicate....thanks...Steve
Yes, there are several possibilities here. One is that 60 ppm isn't high enough to produce observable effects in a lot of small fish. Anyone run across actual data on this?

My experience is limited to spiking my CO2 @ 60ppm (el cheapo needle valve) with no change in fish behaviour. I'm not curious enough to risk my loaches so I brought the level down as soon as I spotted the spike with the test kits.

I haven't done much of a literature search on this yet. So far all I've found is a paper referring to observing anaesthetic effects in salmon smolts at 150 ppm, and in adults at 250 ppm. There was a passing reference to "sub-lethal" effects in fish at 400 ppm.

Tropical Swamp Modeler

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode