• 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By Greggz
  • 1 Post By Liquidgarden

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nitrate level of well water

Newbie here. I have been living in my home for 7 months. It has well water. Before this the house sat vacant for about 1 year...no water use and the aquifer was dormant . I recently performed new water tests on my well water. Upon filling a clear container with this water I noticed that it had a slightly yellowish tint to it.

The NO3 level has risen from 1.5ppm to about 3 ppm. I am concerned if this is getting on the high side for water used for a water change. (I do have an RO unit I could use if necessary).
I my goal is to eventually be running a high tech tank so I don't know if this would warrant a lower NO3 level for water used for a water change.

Is the NO3 level ok or should it go through an ro system first?

Iron level still measures 0.0 on a seachem multi test. I thought that might have contributed to the yellowish color.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing a slightly yellow tint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not sure on the yellow tint, but a lot of us dose in excess of 25-35 ppm on NO3 during a water change (high tech tanks) so you'll actually need to bump your levels way way way up. 3ppm NO3 is of no concern.
Greggz and Liquidgarden like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidgarden View Post
Is the NO3 level ok or should it go through an ro system first?

Iron level still measures 0.0 on a seachem multi test. I thought that might have contributed to the yellowish color.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing a slightly yellow tint?
As mentioned above, you will be dosing lots of NO3 to bring that level higher, so no worries there.

As to the yellow, first guess would be to question the test. In my experience, yellow tint is from iron.

Then again, could probably be a bunch of other things too. I would get it tested properly by someone with experience in wells.
Quagulator and Liquidgarden like this.

---
---

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
As mentioned above, you will be dosing lots of NO3 to bring that level higher, so no worries there.

As to the yellow, first guess would be to question the test. In my experience, yellow tint is from iron.

Then again, could probably be a bunch of other things too. I would get it tested properly by someone with experience in wells.
When I moved in we had to have a professional water test done. It showed 0.66ppm of Iron. When I tested with the seachem it reads 0.0. From what I understand Iron can be in different states (?) Maybe it didn't pick it up?

I didn't want to rely on the test we had performed when we moved in because the aquifer was dormant and I thought things might change once it was being used. Although, from the look of the sample taken yesterday it looks like something's going on.
I was going to get a Hanna Iron checker that measures Iron in ppb, topping out at 1 ppm (999 ppb). I was hoping this would be much more accurate. Another professional test is kinda expensive although, I am trying to determine if I need to use my RO unit or not (it would be so nice not to have to use RO).

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Not sure on the yellow tint, but a lot of us dose in excess of 25-35 ppm on NO3 during a water change (high tech tanks) so you'll actually need to bump your levels way way way up. 3ppm NO3 is of no concern.
Thank you!
Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode