2Likes
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potassium sulfate and EI dosing

Greetings Everyone,

I'm going to be starting my first planted tank in the next few weeks, and one of the things I'm trying to figure out is the fertilizer. I spent many years successfully keeping reef aquaria, and the whole idea of adding nutrients to the water is a bit crazy to me.

I have decided to go with the EI dosing strategy. I prefer to dose using pre-made liquid solutions, so I did some searching online and I found the EI calculator at www.aquariumcalculators.com. This is a great calculator, but it seems to ignore potassium sulfate for the macro nutrient solution. In the comments section, Nigel (perhaps the creator of the calculator?) states that potassium sulfate is not needed.

If potassium sulfate is not needed, then why is it included in all of the EI packages for sale? Assuming it is needed, does anyone know the weight ratio between potassium sulfate and the other components of the macro solution are? For example, if my formula indicates 74 g of potassium nitrate and 20 g of mono potassium phosphate, how much potassium sulfate should I add?

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Cheers
TMQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Check these out. Dosing Instructions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 02:38 PM
Planted Member

I really like the Rotala Butterfly calculator myself - https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php . It will calculate just about any compound you might use, as well as most brand name pre made solutions. And in addition to EI, you can calculate the result of a dose, or dose to target ppm. That is very useful. It also has an option for creating your own solutions. So if you ever decide you want to try making your own to save money, it makes that easy as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
Greetings Everyone,

I'm going to be starting my first planted tank in the next few weeks, and one of the things I'm trying to figure out is the fertilizer. I spent many years successfully keeping reef aquaria, and the whole idea of adding nutrients to the water is a bit crazy to me.

I have decided to go with the EI dosing strategy. I prefer to dose using pre-made liquid solutions, so I did some searching online and I found the EI calculator at www.aquariumcalculators.com. This is a great calculator, but it seems to ignore potassium sulfate for the macro nutrient solution. In the comments section, Nigel (perhaps the creator of the calculator?) states that potassium sulfate is not needed.

If potassium sulfate is not needed, then why is it included in all of the EI packages for sale? Assuming it is needed, does anyone know the weight ratio between potassium sulfate and the other components of the macro solution are? For example, if my formula indicates 74 g of potassium nitrate and 20 g of mono potassium phosphate, how much potassium sulfate should I add?

Thanks everyone in advance for your help.

Cheers
TMQ
Hi @Mighty Quinn,

I agree it is confusing, some EI kits include potassium sulfate while some don't. I think it comes down to two things, first is my local water - does it contain a lot of potassium. In my case it does not. Secondly am I dosing my KNO3 at the full recommended amount (i.e. 7.5 ppm)? In some tanks I do dose the full amount of KNO3 which means I am dosing about 4.73 ppm of potassium or a 1.5:1 ratio which is a suggested ratio. I also dose mono potassium phosphate (KH2PO4) which at the recommended EI dosing rate adds an additional 0.54 ppm of potassium. So if I am dosing EI per the recommended doses in theory I should have more than sufficient potassium.

However some of my tanks have more fish and require less KNO3 to maintain a 20 ppm - 30 ppm of nitrate level. In those tanks I may dose one half (1/2) the recommended amount of KNO3 or less. In some cases there may be sufficient potassium in the local water supply to offset the potassium reduction - that is not the case here in Seattle where my local water has about 2 ppm of potassium. So, when I reduce the amount of KNO3 I dose to maintain a moderate level of nitrates I have to add potassium sulfate (K2SO4) to offset the difference.

How do I know? In a tank with a moderate bioload (aka fish) I was dosing about 1/3 the recommended EI dose of KNO3. I thought I was offsetting the decreased potassium with the amount of K2SO4 I was dosing however I was not. The stem plants pretty much stopped growing, the cryptocorynes started melting and dieing back, the plants did not have the vibrant green that they had in the past. I found recently that I was drastically under-dosing my potassium. I increased my potassium and the stem plants started growing again and the cryptocorynes started putting out new leaves. What tipped me off? The white flecks (necrotic area) on some of the older leaves of my Nymphaea micrantha.

N. micrantha (Tri-color Lotus) showing white flecking characteristic of potassium (K) deficiency
Greggz and 64D-1701 like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you everyone for your responses! They were tremendously helpful!

Just to bottom line things, I think what you all have essentially said is if you are using KNO3 and KH2PO4 to maintain your nitrate and phosphate levels per the EI method, then your potassium levels are probably just fine. The exception to this when you have a heavy bioload or other source of nitrates and/or phosphates, hence you need to back off of the KNO3 and KH2PO4 so you don't overload your tank with nitrates and/or phosphates, and therefore you need another source of potassium. Does that sum it up?

Is it correct to assume that if I include the "optional" K2SO4 into macronutrient liquid (per the link that Maryland Guppy provided) that the extra potassium and sulfate are not going to harm anything?

Thanks again!
Cheers,
TMQ

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode