No nitrates or ammonia - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi, my fluval flex 57litre has been cycling for around a week now; initially I had ammonia of 1ppm-4ppm and then a small reading for nitrite of 0.25ppm but since then I have added some fish food and still have readings of 0ppm for ammonia; nitrite and nitrate. I have been using API test kits. I have been dozing stability by Seachem daily and added a fair few plants and a piece of driftwood from an existing aquarium to the tank

Could it have cycled in a week?

My tank is moderately planted - see photo below; and Iím concerned about the lack of nitrates causing the plants to suffer, although they look healthy at the moment - should I dose some fertiliser with nitrogen in it; add more fish food or just wait?

Iím not sure whether I should just add my first fish to the aquarium this weekend to start producing some waste or keep adding fish food till I see nitrates?

A photo of the tank/plants in it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9666BE51-AC31-4E43-BFE9-42FC5257DB32_1542628083389.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	2.76 MB
ID:	872723  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-19-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I doubt the fish food has broken down and produced enough ammonia to register on the test, or to feed bacteria. I would add a few hardy fish to get your cycle going. Keep dosing Stability until your ammonia and nitrite get back to zero after the initial increase. Also add Prime every day to detoxify the ammonia/nitrite. Your tests will still show readings, and it won't interrupt your bacteria growth, but it will keep the fish safe. I would also add StressGuard every day for the fish. The whole process should take a few weeks. Keep up with water changes, especially with high ammonia/nitrite levels.

If you fertilize or use CO2 for your plants, keep that schedule going during the cycling. Just monitor all your parameters every day so you don't overdose NO3.

Last edited by 64D-1701; 11-19-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: more comments
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Or, do fish-less cycling by dosing with Ammonium Chloride. The fish food method, like it was suggested in the other post, is not a reliable ammonium chloride source.

Can use a product like DrTim's Aquatics Ammonium chloride or pure ammonia like you can find at Ace Hardware- Ace Brand Janitorial Strength Ammonia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode