High ammonia problem - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacg3 View Post
This will cause high amounts of algae growth. Adding plants won't hurt but "blasting" them with 14 hours of high light in a tank with 4ppm ammonia is a bad idea.

Personally, I would bump up the water changes to several times a day, enough to bring down the ammonia to 0ppm after your water changes are over...sounds like your tank is going through a "mini cycle".
Exactly. Its pretty simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 04:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
This sounds like sure fire way to creating an algae farm, especially in a unbalanced tank.

The adding more plants part I agree with, but blasting high light for 14 hours a day........... Gotta question this part of that statement.
My plants are doing great with 14 hours of high light. Plants love light. So does algae, yes; but honestly algae has an overall positive effect on your tank.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineVampir View Post
My plants are doing great with 14 hours of high light. Plants love light. So does algae, yes; but honestly algae has an overall positive effect on your tank.
What does 'high' light mean in your tank? Are we talking 100-120+ PAR at the substrate?

In the end if it's working in your tank and you and your plants are happen then thats great. But the OP's original post was about high ammonia and it has been proven time and time again that, high ammonia + high light + long photo period = algae farm. If you need proof, just search for the countless threads started on here by new to AquaSoil users and their issues with algae in the first 6 weeks.

But again, if its working for you and you're happy thats all that matters. There are no cut and dry rules in this hobby, most of use just fly by the seat of our pants anyway.
Greggz and MCFC like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:10 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
What does 'high' light mean in your tank? Are we talking 100-120+ PAR at the substrate?

In the end if it's working in your tank and you and your plants are happen then thats great. But the OP's original post was about high ammonia and it has been proven time and time again that, high ammonia + high light + long photo period = algae farm. If you need proof, just search for the countless threads started on here by new to AquaSoil users and their issues with algae in the first 6 weeks.

But again, if its working for you and you're happy thats all that matters. There are no cut and dry rules in this hobby, most of use just fly by the seat of our pants anyway.
Well apparently people are willing to sacrifice water quality just to not have algae in the tank, which to me is not worth it. It's like, the answer is trying to present itself but people keep pushing it away and start looking for other (less natural) answers. But in my case looks aren't everything. I've got shrimp and snails that all eat algae, and a clam that probably eats it too. So to me it's worth letting it go (3 of the walls at least) for the benefit the algae provides. I think if I were just a normal fishkeeper or whatever, I'd still rather have plants and algae than ammonia.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Well apparently people are willing to sacrifice water quality just to not have algae in the tank, which to me is not worth it. It's like, the answer is trying to present itself but people keep pushing it away and start looking for other (less natural) answers. But in my case looks aren't everything. I've got shrimp and snails that all eat algae, and a clam that probably eats it too. So to me it's worth letting it go (3 of the walls at least) for the benefit the algae provides. I think if I were just a normal fishkeeper or whatever, I'd still rather have plants and algae than ammonia.

Im not being critical when I ask...do you have any pictures youd be willing to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

|
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 09:16 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Im not being critical when I ask...do you have any pictures youd be willing to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I could, but what would be the point? I'm not trying to claim that it looks great. I think it looks ok for what it does. For a shrimp breeding tank where I'm desperate to breed, and it has like 20 algae eating mystery snails too...well to me it's worth it. I get that is definitely not for everyone. My point is that people are too hesitant to just let it grow as a solution to certain problems.

But sure, if you want to see pictures of my tank, I'll post the link. But be advised, it's a shrimp breeding tank, not an flashy aquascaped tank. Btw I'm gonna update it soon. Just realized there aren't any new pictures of it with the new light.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dTNlE2bTFCQUV3

Edit: Ok now it's updated!
varanidguy and Discusluv like this.

Last edited by KleineVampir; 11-21-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: updated
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
But sure, if you want to see pictures of my tank, I'll post the link. But be advised, it's a shrimp breeding tank, not an flashy aquascaped tank. Btw I'm gonna update it soon. Just realized there aren't any new pictures of it with the new light.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dTNlE2bTFCQUV3

Edit: Ok now it's updated!
So that's what you get when you blast light 14 hours a day. Fixes everything, huh?

Interesting.

And you are recommending this method to others?

Okey dokey!

---
---
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:07 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
So that's what you get when you blast light 14 hours a day. Fixes everything, huh?

Interesting.

And you are recommending this method to others?

Okey dokey!
Weelllll.....You guys guilted me into going down to 12 hours a day. The plants probably do love 14 hours a day, but I think my livestock do not appreciate it, and shrimp breed at night I believe. Plus there's something nice about 12 on, 12 off. Also 12 hours is about the max amount of sunlight in summer time. It's never 14, unless you're north of the arctic circle during summer or something.

14 was kind of an experiment to see if there was such a thing as "too much" light...well, not really! It's just that the shrimp and snails don't appreciate it, like I said.

As far as recommendations, 12 on 12 off sounds good to me. It's a nice poetic yin and yang amount! But yeah plant up and get a bright light! Plants regulate a lot of things in your water...they filter, they get rid of ammonia, they balance Ph...they probably balance mineral content too since I know they take in minerals...
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. Made sure my test tubes were not contaminated. Did such a good job that all the external markings came off! rofl

What ever the cause of the problem, it seems the tank has finally started to cycle properly again. I think I've got a small drop in ammonia and definitely have a small bit of nitrate building up. Didn't see any kind of a nitrite spike, but not going to worry about it. Fish are still looking good and the tank seems to be on the mend. That's the important thing.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks like you severely knocked back your Amm-nitrite bacteria.. there little dead bodies created a heterotrophic bacterial bloom..
fortunately I'll assume your pH was around 7 so most of the ammonia was not toxic..
this doesn't apply to nitrite btw.. toxic at any pH..

any chance you were feeding CO2 into your filter???

Btw. nitrogen conversion occurs everywhere in the tank..
Discusluv likes this.

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure"

Tags
ammonia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode