• 1 Post By Surf
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Seachem Advance

*An observation from a person very inexperienced with aquarium plants-have only had plants in my aquariums for the past year.

That said, I started using Seachem Advance a few months ago along with the other fertilizers in their line : NPK, Trace, Iron. The later having used for a year.

Dosing sporadically- 2-3 days a week. It is a low-tech set-up with Excel as carbon source.

The most significant difference after using- the growth of my java ferns and aerial root growth on my Anubis. This has been the most obvious difference. I wish I would of taken before and after pictures-
But, being a laymen...
I just ordered my 3rd 2L because, to me, the growth in my Java Fern and Anubias alone has made it worth the price.

Does anyone know this product well enough to explain why Java Fern and Anubias seem to be benefiting from dosing Advance?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants need the following elements to grow:
Macros N, K, Ca, Mg, P, S
Microns Fe, CL, Mn, B, Zn, Cu, Mo, Ni

You are dosing NPK and Fe, Mn, B, Zn, Cu, Mo, Ni. You are missing Ca, Mg, S and Cl. Your water quality report shows you have very soft water with minimal Ca, Mg, S. Cl levels are sufficient in your water quality report.

Seachem Advanced mainly contains a bunch of plant hormones that will only supply carbon, and a small amount of Ca, Mg,

You might get better plant growth by boosting your water hardness by 2 digress with a GH booster such as Seachem Equilibrium.. This would supply a lot more ca, Mg, S,K. You would also be better off splitting your iron dose into 4 equally spaced doses per week (The main ingredient in Seachem iron doesn't last long in the aquarium. You also might get better results with Nilocg.com Thrive (regular version) since it is more concentrated in micros and includes your macros. Also the iron in Thrive will last longer in the tank. Keep using Excel. Thats 3 bottles verses the 6 you are using now.
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Does anyone know this product well enough to explain why Java Fern and Anubias seem to be benefiting from dosing Advance?
@Surf could be correct ???
Cover all of the basic required elements before looking outside the box.

I know some that now swear by it and some claim it as snake oil.

Just can't seem to buy into purchasing a companies bottled water with a splash of compounds.
Seachem's largest business expense in the line of ferts is most likely distilled water and the container w/label and pilfer cap, it's certainly not the compounds added.

Was told a long time ago that plants don't need hormones or vitamins.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Plants need the following elements to grow:
Macros N, K, Ca, Mg, P, S
Microns Fe, CL, Mn, B, Zn, Cu, Mo, Ni

You are dosing NPK and Fe, Mn, B, Zn, Cu, Mo, Ni. You are missing Ca, Mg, S and Cl. Your water quality report shows you have very soft water with minimal Ca, Mg, S. Cl levels are sufficient in your water quality report.

Seachem Advanced mainly contains a bunch of plant hormones that will only supply carbon, and a small amount of Ca, Mg,

You might get better plant growth by boosting your water hardness by 2 digress with a GH booster such as Seachem Equilibrium.. This would supply a lot more ca, Mg, S,K. You would also be better off splitting your iron dose into 4 equally spaced doses per week (The main ingredient in Seachem iron doesn't last long in the aquarium. You also might get better results with Nilocg.com Thrive (regular version) since it is more concentrated in micros and includes your macros. Also the iron in Thrive will last longer in the tank. Keep using Excel. Thats 3 bottles verses the 6 you are using now.
Thanks very much for your reply. Im happy you were able to access my water information and tell me what I am missing and what I need. I have looked at my report, but I was not able to determine levels beyond the most basic information.

I forgot to add that I am using Seachem Equilibrium as well after recommendation from here. It has been a couple of months and, now that you mention it, a month after I began dosing the Advance. It may, in fact, be the Equilibrium that is giving me better results with my anubias and java fern and not the Advance. However, my stem plants continue to struggle or grow slowly,-but, I think this is due to lack of Co2.

The Nilocg is liquid like the Seachem line? I realize that the premixed is more expensive- but, I dont want to bother with mixing and calculating- I do not have time. Actually, even if I did have time, I dont want to.

So, let me say back to you what I think you are saying would be best for me: Continue using the Seachem Equilibrium, change from Seachem line to Nilocg ( All-in- one), and continue using Excel.

Again, thank you.
mbkemp likes this.

Amy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode