pH wont go down - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
I barely have enough room or electric outlets in my studio apartment for the tanks I have now.Have a new 20 gallon tank that I will be setting up shortly and that one will pretty much safely use the outlets. I also have a Parrot that likes to chew and camouflaging wires can be tricky.

Perhaps I have been over thinking the PH in both aquariums. I really haven't messed with the water except for the exception of asking questions about it. I appreciate your advice and welcome more of it if you care to share.
RE: Parrot - there are strips that you can put wires in to protect them. Small or *maybe* medium sized parrot, something cheap to cover wires is probably fine. Alternatively, PVC piping could also work! I also have birds, although right now I'm lucky in that none of them are *currently* chewing on any wires. One of them did years ago and she's 17 now. She's settled a little since! LOL That said, one of them is chewing on herself... (already been vet multiple times - foster bird)

As far as otos and the CAE's... no personal experience with them, but it's from my understanding that it's best if you get them in groups of 6 or more as this reduces stress. You also want a tank that is *very* mature with lots of algae. Leaves such as Indian Almond Leaves or perhaps some bogwood/driftwood too may be beneficial as they are good at growing biofilm. Maybe a larger tank would be better for them? Even then, they [mainly otos] can be finicky fish... some people say don't buy them until they've been in the LFS for 1-3 weeks, others say grab them before they've had a chance to hit the LFS tanks so that's one less change in water parameters.

I'd have to agree in regards to the pH... if it's sitting steady at 7.2, don't worry about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 05:23 PM
RCB
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
RE: Parrot - there are strips that you can put wires in to protect them. Small or *maybe* medium sized parrot, something cheap to cover wires is probably fine. Alternatively, PVC piping could also work! I also have birds, although right now I'm lucky in that none of them are *currently* chewing on any wires. One of them did years ago and she's 17 now. She's settled a little since! LOL That said, one of them is chewing on herself... (already been vet multiple times - foster bird)

As far as otos and the CAE's... no personal experience with them, but it's from my understanding that it's best if you get them in groups of 6 or more as this reduces stress. You also want a tank that is *very* mature with lots of algae. Leaves such as Indian Almond Leaves or perhaps some bogwood/driftwood too may be beneficial as they are good at growing biofilm. Maybe a larger tank would be better for them? Even then, they [mainly otos] can be finicky fish... some people say don't buy them until they've been in the LFS for 1-3 weeks, others say grab them before they've had a chance to hit the LFS tanks so that's one less change in water parameters.

I'd have to agree in regards to the pH... if it's sitting steady at 7.2, don't worry about it!

I brought up the information I had read about keeping both species of algae eaters in groups but was told that a grouping of 3 in my 10 gallon heavily planted tank was going to be OK. Perhaps there was not enough algae to keep them happy even though I had offered a variety of algae tablets and other foods. Use an Almond Tea bag with water changes and African Tree Roots are in both tanks. Perhaps algae eaters are not my best choice.

I sure hope you are able to get your foster bird on the mend. Sometimes a feather picker lacks Calcium in their diet., has the vet happened to mention it as a cause ? Good thoughts and vibes going out to your feathered friend !
Zoidburg likes this.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCB View Post
I brought up the information I had read about keeping both species of algae eaters in groups but was told that a grouping of 3 in my 10 gallon heavily planted tank was going to be OK. Perhaps there was not enough algae to keep them happy even though I had offered a variety of algae tablets and other foods. Use an Almond Tea bag with water changes and African Tree Roots are in both tanks. Perhaps algae eaters are not my best choice.

I sure hope you are able to get your foster bird on the mend. Sometimes a feather picker lacks Calcium in their diet., has the vet happened to mention it as a cause ? Good thoughts and vibes going out to your feathered friend !
I just know it's not always easy to keep otos. I've had a difficult time keeping kuhlis, more so if they were quarantined! They've done better when I've plop and dropped them... pygmy cories have been another difficult one...

As for the bird... sadly, she's only 2 years old and who knows how long she's been picking for. I already have her on a better diet and she did have a bacterial and fungal infections, including on her skin. Been on medications for over 2 months, still has ~1 month to go before another recheck. Been trying to get those under control before doing further testing. And thanks!

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:03 PM
RCB
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I just know it's not always easy to keep otos. I've had a difficult time keeping kuhlis, more so if they were quarantined! They've done better when I've plop and dropped them... pygmy cories have been another difficult one...

As for the bird... sadly, she's only 2 years old and who knows how long she's been picking for. I already have her on a better diet and she did have a bacterial and fungal infections, including on her skin. Been on medications for over 2 months, still has ~1 month to go before another recheck. Been trying to get those under control before doing further testing. And thanks!

I'm noted for sending out good vibes and thoughts for all things living. Whats your birds name and what kind of bird is he/she.
Zoidburg likes this.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bibi - Female Pearl Cockatiel - You wouldn't know she was hurting herself just by looking at her!

I do hope that Hi-Chiu does come back to this thread! (not to go too far off topic)
RCB likes this.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm back. I didn't even see all this happening after I posted lmao. I recently switched to ro and keep a constant pH of 7. My gh is about 7. I recently also got a school of 14 rummy nose and they are doing amazing. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. You can all post whatever you want on this thread.

Hi-Chiu
Zoidburg and RCB like this.

HiChiu

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode