Rolling my own - can't find suitable CSM+B - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rolling my own - can't find suitable CSM+B

Hello all,

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read what I'm proposing and offering any guidance, information, or education.

Planted aquariums are starting to pick up steam in my local area. I see a good opportunity for teaching a small bit of organic chemistry to everyone - myself included. And, I'm targeting CO2, fertilization, EI, and as an exercise we're going to make our own ferts. I've been able to find KNO3, K2SO4, and MgSO4 but I can't find a sizeable amount of CSM+B that won't break my budget for these classes except one and these are it's levels:

Calcium - 6%
Magnesium 3% - 0% water soluble

Sulfur - 12% combined
Boron - .1%
Copper - water soluble 1%
Iron - 17% - 16% water soluble

Manganese - 2.5% water soluble
Molybdenum - .05%
Zinc - 1.0%

The brand is MicroMax Micronutrient. It says it's good for seedling stocks, nursery plants, or just everything terrestrial. My concern is the iron content and it's effect on fresh water livestock including inverts. I have no doubt that the above mixture will feed plants. But, all aquatic CSM+B ingredient lists show iron at or below 7% and I don't know if that's specifically due to the effects of metals on tank inhabitants.

Given we mix a 4 part solution of KNO3, K2SO4, MgSO4, and this solution to create a 1 to 1 ratio to create a homecooked PMDD what type of risk am I looking at in regards to fauna?

Thank you

Tags
csm+b, ferts dosing, pmdd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode